Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zzr1200 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 07:58 AM
    My 24 year old son got into a motorcycle accident a year back,now the passenger
    Judgement against him, the bike had Insurance @ that time no repair bill was filed. Son had dotor bills, passenger was check-out but no injuries other than slight scraps (at that time).Now no longer boyfriend & girlfriend we think her parents got a lawyer to file paperwork. He doesn't live with me, and he is a adult : they can't come after me? I don't own or pay-for this bike ,he was just a rider listed on the insurance.He is a student & at times has a part time job (not working now).He has no money (realy no assets at all). Paperwork was served to me thinking I was him (he is a jr) court date soon he was going to court to state he was never served?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2010, 09:21 AM

You had no interest in the bike? It was registered to him?

The fact that he has no assets is not a defense; Judgments are often good for 20 years.

Was this reported to the insurance company at the time? I know in NY you can get a policy (it's a rider) which covers the passenger because the driver is NOT covered by no fault.

I don't understand how he was listed as a rider on a motorcycle insurance policy - who held the policy?

It is always a mistake not to notify the Court that the wrong party was served. If you do nothing a default judgment will be obtained against him and it will take a LOT of time and energy to get it set aside.

I would "simply" notify the person who prepared the Summons that it was served on the wrong person. This may also be a case of serving you as an adult who accepted service on behalf of your son - it MIGHT be good service.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 17, 2010, 09:27 AM

First, I agree with Judy that if they served you and you did not inform your son, then he may not be able to vacate the judgment on the grounds of improper service.

You are leaving out a lot here. You state the motorcycle was insured. So who held the policy? Who owned the bike? Was the accident reported to the insurer?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 10:55 AM

First be careful with similar names, people are often garnished, in fact I was garnished a couple of years ago, for a law case of one of my sons ( and his name was not even exact) he was a Charlie, and I am a Charles. It took me three pay periods to get that garnishment stopped.

Next how old was he at the time of the accident, if he was under 18 then , not now, there are issues there also.
    And again, was the cycle in your name at all /
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 01:46 PM

If the bike was covered as a rider on your insurance policy, then you need to contact your insurance company and tell them about it. Part of the services you pay for with your insurance is legal support in cases like this, and if your son is found liable they will cover per the terms of the insurance contract.
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 06:11 AM

In NY I have to carry a motor vehicle (auto) policy and a separate motorcycle policy because of the difference in coverage - motorcycles are not covered by no fault. I don't know if this is the situation everywhere or not.

Also insurance to cover the rider is optional. Without it, with just the basic policy, there's an accident with injury and the driver has no coverage for that claim.

Again, have no idea how other States work.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 09:28 AM

How did he get a judgement against him if his passenger had no injuries? Was medical information presented with doctor bills? How was the judgment obtained - was it because you didn't notify him of the lawsuit in progress? What is the amount of the judgment?
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 11:49 AM

I'm working on he has a Judgment against him and the father has just been served with papers - ?

(Dog looks content)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2010, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm working on he has a Judgment against him and the father has just been served with papers - ?

(Dog looks content)
    Dinky is dead asleep in her own little world.
    zzr1200 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 08:40 AM
    Bike was insured by one of the largest Ins Co. Ins.@ the time no claim has filed. He was hurt @ the time she was OK (a little road rash really nothing). He paid to fix the bike himself and his doctor bills where handled? Yes the Insurance was knows about accident about 9 months later after the 2 broke-up she decided to get a lawyer.And I am being told that Ins. Co turned down the claim so now the Lawyer is coming after him . I think doctor bills (check-out at the emergency room). My son's not the owner, I was told by him he was listed on the (Texas)policy as one of the drivers. The day that I was mistaken for him, I did call him and tell him he had some paper work from the a lawyer that needed his attention.As I have stated before the is 24 @ the time & lives on his own trying to be a student and works odd jobs (no full time job @ this time).I am sure Texas laws are different in some respects but her coming back 9 months later to file a claim after they split WOW.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 7, 2010, 09:00 AM

Hello zzr1200. Thanks for clarifyting a few things. But what I still don't understand is whether the papers that were incorrectly served to you had YOUR name on them, or your son's name? If they left the "Jr" off the form then you were the one served, not your son, and therefore you need to defend against it. But if the papers have your son's name was properly written (with Jr) then you personally have nothing to worry about with respect to them coming after you - your son is an adult, and even though a student he is responsible. Given that the insurance company who covered the bike says they won't help, he should contact a lawyer and see what his options are.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 7, 2010, 09:24 AM

I suspect the insurance company denied the claim because of the 9 month period. However, that doesn't let the insurance carrier off the hook. If she is suing as the result of the accident, then the insurance carrier should supply legal assistance. That's part of the coverage.

As to your involvement, as ebaines said, the name on the papers matters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does it take to evict my 31 year old son and 26 year old nephew [ 1 Answers ]

I want my 31 yr old son and 26 yr old nephew to go.Both on drugs.The Denton County Court told me I have to establish a renter/tenant relationship before I can evict them. I have never asked for rent. I have called the local police. The police dept also said I have to evict them. Confussed.

My 21-year-old son [ 9 Answers ]

My grown son won't work and I'm tired of paying his rent.

Uninsured driver accident a year ago with new probs [ 15 Answers ]

I was in an accident dec 30 2006 in which a drunk driver hit me and my boyfriend head on at about 75 mph. we were at a stop sign so we carry no fault at all. The guy that hit us has had 2 brain surgerys and he is paralized and mentally retarted now due to the accident. He had no insurance. I...

Passenger in an accident, my insurance [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend at the time hit another car in an intersection. It was my car and my insurance. I got a call today saying that a lawsuit might be filed against me. What is my liability here? I wasn't even the driver! How much can they try to take? One passenger was taken away in an ambulance but...

Arbitration for 2 year old Car accident [ 3 Answers ]

I was a passenger in a 5 car pile up about 2 1/2 years ago (Aug 04). We were at a stand still and were hit 3 times from behind and pushed into another car in front. I wasn't seriously injured but had just been released from the hospital that day after having my right wrist rebuilt. I reinjured that...

View more questions Search