Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dineshreddy344 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 05:03 AM
    What is the entry for discount allowed
    What is the entry for discount allowed
    eelyram Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2010, 02:20 PM
    Is the discount allowed to be in the profit and loss statement?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2010, 11:09 AM

It depends on when the sales discount is taken.

For example if a customer purchases something on credit, then pays within the discount period the journal entry will be:
    Debit cash for the amount of cash
    Debit Sales discount for the difference
    Credit Accounts Receivable for the amount the customer owes

For an example if a customer purchases $100 of goods on credit and there is a discount of $10 if the bill is paid within 15 days, the journal entry will be:
    Debit Cash for $90
    Debit Sales Discount for $10
    Credit Accounts Receivable for $100

On a Multi-Step Income statement Sales discount will be listed after gross sales.

First will be Gross Sales, then Sales discounts and Sales Returns & Allowances will be listed, which will reduce gross sales to get to Net Sales.
    jondough Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 11:58 AM
    Dhdhdhdh

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discount allowed / Discount received [ 12 Answers ]

My understanding of these two accounts are: Discount allowed is affected when the company offers a discount to a customer and it is netted against sales... thus listed in the chart of accounts as an income account. Discount received is affected when a vendor offers a discount on purchases and...

Journal Entry / Double-entry software needed [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am looking for a good software to use for daily journal entries and adjustments, that will allow me to create at least a balance sheet & income statement and perhaps a few reports (like inventory, accounts receivables). I need a real double-entry & simple reliable software. Peachtree &...

Journel entry for sales discount allowed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am akbar , want to solve my problem .how can I post entries for cash sales with discount? e.g. : cash sale 1000 : discount allowed 50 : Nb: I am using tally9.1 . I need to get the monthly sales summery in tally excluding discount amount. Please

How to post this journal entry with sale discount [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I need help with this journal entry any help would be gladly appreciated. The following sales took place. On sept 2 geoff and sandy harlad sold a fish aquarium on account to Ken Shank, 125.00 plus tax of 7.50 terms n/30. Sale no 101. ...

Discount Allowed in the Debtor's Schedule [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, When taking the monthly totals from the debtors schedule and putting them into the cash budget, do I subtract the discount allowed for that months first, or is it shown as an expense in another budget? Thanks.

View more questions Search