Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwiat Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 03:06 AM
    Ask expert
    Hi,

I would like to ask how to find office job? I used to work in the restaurant as a general manager but this is not what make me happy. I love to do paperwork and that's why I want to change my qualifications but the problem is, each time when I apply for office job
    I get negative answer " sorry, you don't have experience". As a general maneger I did some administration job as well and always my paperwork get score 100%, everything was under control. So how can I get any experience to do office job if nobody want to give me any chance or maybe because I'm not English Citizen.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2010, 06:17 AM

If you are applying for a job in England, I suspect one problem would be that your English is not completely fluent. There are mistakes in your post which no company would want in any letter they sent out, for instance.

However, if you approach some of the voluntary agencies or charities, they may be willing to give you unpaid work experience of a few hours a week, while you work on improving your English.

Jun 17, 2010, 09:41 PM
    You are all the same!!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2010, 09:48 PM
    Hi, kwiat!

What sort of skills and experience do you already have concerning those which might be required of someone who works in an office as a secretary, bookkeeper, filing clerk, etc. please? Each of those particular types of general positions will require specific, learned skills. Some of the skills required, might take a number of months to really be good at them.

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2010, 11:17 PM
    Hi,
    I finished studying public administration, I had a practice in the police station where I did most of the paperwork: writing data to a computer, report the data needed for client, preparing reports and entries in the books, write letters to the courts, keeping documents in the order, etc. However working in a restaurant conquered: payout doing, to draw up documents the safety of workers, weekly reporting rate from the costs of employees, stock controle rate costs, ordering and receiving goods, entering invoices into the computer, counting monthly costs of phonecalls, registering new employees in the computer, daily unfoldings reports, work on hand, control of money, preparation of daily and weekly reports from the takings, daily settlement money. Once every three months I had the entire control of paperwork and it was never rated less than 100%.
    I just wanted add to the conscience carry out my duties and whatever is entrusted to me is doing all that this is the best done. Paperwork as has every other also is in perfect order, this very sacrifice of what has been entrusted to me. I'm ready to start any course to get more information and rules for a particular direction where I could grow, I learn very quick, I'm diligent, very flexible, punctual, some "workoholic". Unfortunately, finding by myself pardoned and acquire new skills in England, just do not have a chance and as one women have said earlier my english is not enough good. No problem if she said so. I know I am good and that someone writes about things which to me are not very important, for someone who is looking for office work for beginners and advanced people did not. Since something must come into in order to get something. I give up!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 12:44 AM
    Hi again, kwiat!

Was the work that you've done so far, in English, please?

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2010, 01:35 AM
    Hi,

Only duties in the restaurant were perfomed in English. My English is not perfect but it is why I would like to learn more and work with the British is the best solution.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2010, 06:30 AM

You obviously have a lot of valuable skills, but your English is the stumbling block. Your priority for now should be to improve your English to the point where no-one reading it can tell it is not your first language.

In some ways, you have picked a difficult career, simply because of the language problem.

For instance, I am a journalist, and while I speak good French, and could do most jobs in France, I know my French is not good enough for me to work as a journalist in France. My choice would be to improve my French or find some other work which uses the same skills.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Become an expert. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I become an Automotive expert for this site?

What qualifies an expert witness? How is an expert qualified and who qualifies him? [ 3 Answers ]

What qualifies an expert witness? How is an expert qualified and who qualifies him?

View more questions Search