Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KingsX Posts: 231, Reputation: 10

Jun 16, 2010, 09:58 PM
    A home made camper air conditioning question
    This question is a little different from the usual. I have this fiberglass camper. And it has a closet. I want to put an air conditioner inside this closet (sticking out the front of course). Now, I know that window air conditioners hang outside because they exhaust the hot air, but they also have an outdoor air intake on the back (or top, side etc). I've done some research and some camper owners like me, cut a hole in the side of the camper and put in a vent cover of some sort (to stop rain and other critters from getting it) and that's it, and they seem to work (keep in mind the window air conditioner doesn't actually stick out of the this vent, its just in the closet and that vent cover allows for passive air movement, if that makes sense).

What I want to do is mount it in the closet, and inside the closet as well is a 50 cfm bathroom fan with a 4" exhaust vent (just like a house) to remove the hot air to the outside of the camper. And then also have a passive air intake for make up air on the outside. So the camper would have 2, 4" vents. One with an active bathroom exhaust fan, and the other, basically a screened intake. And the installation of the AC in the closet will be somewhat sealed, so that very little camper interior air will be "sucked in". That air is for the intake on the front after all.

So my question is this. If you installed an air conditioner inside an enclosed space like this, and using a bathroom exhaust fan, could that fan do two things. One, exhaust the heat from the AC effectively, and two, create enough negative pressure to suck air into the intake as described above?

I know, long post and probably confusing as all heck. If you are unsure as to what I'm talking about please post and let me know. Anyway, thanks again guys!
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2010, 06:31 AM
    Can`t see it working. Don`t think a 4 inch vet is nowhere close to being big enough to get exhast the hot air that a window a/c puts out,, the system would overheat in a very big way, sorry,, maybe others will have some input that will help you
    KingsX Posts: 231, Reputation: 10

Jun 17, 2010, 07:07 AM

That's okay, that's what I'm hear for. But my logic is that bathroom fan exhausts at 50 cubic feet per minute. And the AC's enclosed space at the most might be 3 cubic feet. I don't think there is specs anywhere that'll tell you the cubic feet per minute output of a window AC, maybe I'm wrong. And remember, it's a 4" vent, but the fan is larger than that.

I was also going to construct a sort of baffle to try to direct intake air to the intake and the hot air to the bathroom fan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home air conditioning doesn't work. [ 8 Answers ]

I bought my home 7 years ago and the central A/C that came with it was working. I just Turned it on for the first time this summer and it worked for a couple minutes and stopped completely. Nothing is working! I reset the circuit breaker but still doesn't turn on. I have One thermostat for...

Home air conditioning unit is running no air blowing from vents [ 5 Answers ]

My a/c unit runs but, no air coming through vents the temp in house stays the same. I looked at it on the roof and water is heavily dripping from it. The unit is off now

HVAC Question - New Air Conditioning Unit? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, We had a contractor come over to look at our Air Conditioning Unit. We had an American Standard R-22 Allegiance 12. He said that the Condenser was "Grounded Out" and we needed to replace the condenser or alternatively we should replace it with a new system altogether. Are there other...

Air conditioning will not come on at home [ 1 Answers ]

My drainage was clogged and the tray ran over. After this event the air stop working. It sputtered a couple of time and then shut off.

View more questions Search