Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Jun 16, 2010, 04:17 PM
    Cleaning Socket After Extraction/Eating Crunchy Things
    I've had two teeth extracted recently- back top molar (6/2/10) and back bottom molar (6/7/10). I have, for the most part, resumed my usual diet, sans crunchy foods. I have two questions:

1) I am doing my absolute best to keep the sockets clean/void of any food. Regardless of what side I chew on, though, the food seems to always find it's way into the hole. I have been using the hose attachment on my kitchen sink to spray out whatever gets in there, and it comes out very easily. I just want to make sure that this will do no damage. From what I understand, I'm pretty much in the clear for dry socket- but I want to make sure the pressure from the water is not too much.

Also, do I need to get the food out immediately? I've been stopping mid-meal to clear it out. And then finishing up and cleaning it again. I ask this because I will be visiting family, and would like to be able to finish a meal w/o stopping to clean out my tooth-hole. :D And maybe sit around and talk for a bit after eating? How long is too long to leave it in there?

2) When can I resume eating crunchy foods? (I'm craving tortilla chips!) Do I need to wait for the hole to completely close? If so, how long does that typically take?

Thanks for your help!
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2010, 05:38 PM

You should wait for the holes to close more before eating anything too crunchy. As for rinsing the holes while eating, you should be fine to flush them out as part of your normal brushing routine unless you find them bothering you.
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Jun 16, 2010, 06:17 PM

Great- thanks!

Is the method I've been using to flush them out OK? (Hose from kitchen sink) Or is that too much pressure? Feels fine to me, but I don't want to mess anything up.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:00 PM

As long as you aren't directing the waterflow right in to the socket you should be fine and don't turn the water on full blast.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert A15 intermediate socket to A19 standard socket [ 10 Answers ]

I need more light from my Hampton Bay ceiling fan light. It has the new A15 Intermediate base bulb and does not put out enough light. Is there a fluorescent bulb available for the Intermediate base socket? Is there an adapter available for the socket that would allow me to use a Standard size...

The credit crunch [ 5 Answers ]

This week I began a process to renegotiate my mortgage down to a 15 year fixed rate .I had been thinking about doing it for a couple of years but I began this now in no small part because I was encouraged to do so by my bank and their competitors who have been sending me for some time a barage of...

View more questions Search