Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    budnip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 07:15 PM
    Chem help
    What is the balanced equation of NaOH+NiCl2, I'm not understanding my on line lab question, please help!!
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Dec 11, 2006, 10:16 PM
    Thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk.

Here are some steps to help you.

1. Use the general equation for this type of reaction to help you in finishing the equation.

AB + CD --> AD + CB

2. Remember that all oxidation numbers must zero out when writing the formulas.

3. Balance using the proper rules.

Let me know what you come up with.
    paris305 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2006, 12:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by budnip
    What is the balanced equation of NaOH+NiCl2, I'm not understanding my on line lab question, please help!!!
    Im pretty sure you need to know what that yeilds... is it a double replacement if so.. you get NaOH + NiCl2 --> NaCl2 NiOH... I think...

Never mind actually you can't balance that because there is no reaction... OH molecules are insoluble... read solubility rules...
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2006, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paris305
    Im pretty sure you need to know what that yeilds... is it a double replacement if so .. you get NaOH + NiCl2 --> NaCl2 NiOH .... i think...

Nevermind actually you can't balance that because there is no reaction... OH molecules are insoluble... read solubility rules...
    Ummm... no.

You need to understand the rules a little better.

Yes most hydroxides are insoluble... but NaOH isn't. Anyone who has taken chem lab has most likely used aqueous sodium hydroxides.. . now, many other OH salts are insoluble... its true, and relevant to this question. But your post makes it sound like the reagent isn't soluble.

Please make sure you know the answer before you post.
    pwd77 Posts: 186, Reputation: 3

Dec 12, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by budnip
    What is the balanced equation of NaOH+NiCl2, I'm not understanding my on line lab question, please help!!!
    2NaOH + Ni(Cl)2 -> 2NaCl + Ni(OH)2
    eclipsemoon9 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 08:42 PM
    First of all it would be NiOH that is the product. And this is insoluble. If it's insoluble it means there is a precipitate which means there was a reaction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chem answer [ 2 Answers ]

I not sure if I did it right, but I got 15.9. here is the question- If 40.0 grams of H3PO4 reacts with 60.0 grams of MgCO3 according to this reaction, 2H3PO4 + 3MgCO3 —> Mg3 (PO4)2 + 3CO2 + 3H2O (already balanced) Then calculate the volume of carbon dioxide gas produced at STP.

Chem [ 1 Answers ]

If 40.0 grams of H3PO4 reacts with 60.0 grams of MgCO3 according to this reaction, 2H3PO4 + 3MgCO3 —> Mg3 (PO4)2 + 3CO2 + 3H2O (already balanced) then calculate the volume of carbon dioxide gas produced at STP.

3 more chem question; I don't know how to start [ 3 Answers ]

Hi again, I need help with these three problems I don' t know how to start it. The heat of combustion of benzene, C6H6, is –41,900 J/g. What is the heat of combustion expressed in kilojoules per kilogram? a. -4.19 x 101 kJ/kg b. -4.19 x 103 kJ/kg c. -4.19 x 104 kJ/kg d. -4.19 x 106 kJ/kg e....

View more questions Search