Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    milca Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 06:44 AM
    I gave my dog 1/2 a tylenol will it hurt her?
    My dog is limping and having hip pain I gave her 1/2 tylenol she is 4 yrs old and weighs 7lbs.. I am being told here at work that she can die from 1/2 tylenol... is that ture?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 06:51 AM

Please don't give your dog human meds before checking with your vet. Tylenol can mess up animals' and humans' livers. Can you call your vet while you're at work? That's a young dog. Why hip pain?

Jun 16, 2010, 06:57 AM
    She jumped off the sofa and I think she just hurt a muscle I gave her 1/2 tylenol can that kill her instantly?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 06:57 AM

You should never give an animal human drugs with out vet approval. If you are going to give her anything, Aspirin is the normally used pain killer.While the Tylenol may help with the pain, it is not an anti inflammatory and therefore will not reduce any inflammation in the joins. I don't know if your dog will die, that is something you should be asking a vet. I do know that this drug is not approved for use in animals by the Food and Drug Administration but it is prescribed legally by veterinarians as an extra-label drug, but on the norm should NOT be used with animals.

Also, acetaminophen should never be given to cats. It can result in fatal blood and liver disorders.

When it comes to giving Aspirin, most veterinarians recommend between 5 mg and 10 mg per pound of the dog's weight every 12 hours.

Contact your vet, if your dog had a heart problem, Aspirin can be fatal, and long time use can be toxic. Again, contact your vet.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by milca View Post
    she jumped off the sofa and i think she just hurt a muscle i gave her 1/2 tylenol can that kill her instantly?
    Please don't diagnose your pets. What you think happened and how she feels and what she needs may not all match. As Aurora said, Tylenol won't help her hip if she's in pain with a swollen joint.

Jun 16, 2010, 07:05 AM
    I realize that but can she die instantly from 1/2 a pill?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 07:08 AM
    i realize that but can she die instantly from 1/2 a pill?
    I don't know. She's not very big. Can you call home to find out how she's doing? The Tylenols I take sometimes are 650 mgs. That's a lot. How big was the one you gave her half of?

Jun 16, 2010, 07:08 AM
    I am speaking to a vet now she said 1/2 won't kill her but not to give it to her again. I am taking her in now
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 07:11 AM
    i am speaking to a vet now she said 1/2 won't kill her but not to give it to her again. I am taking her in now
    Do you know how big a dosage in mgs. The Tylenol was that you gave her half of?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 12:49 PM

milca, I am glad you are taking her to the vet. I hope it turns out to be a very minor injury.

What breed is she?

Jun 16, 2010, 01:41 PM
    Thank you she is ok... she is a poodle... i took her to the vet and she's fine thank you all.. what a scare i will never do that again!

Jun 16, 2010, 01:41 PM
    Thank you she is ok... she is a poodle... i took her to the vet and she's fine thank you all.. what a scare i will never do that again!

Jun 16, 2010, 01:42 PM

Thank you all she is fine.. took her to the vet and she's OK.. what a scare... she is a poodle. Thanks for all the concern :-)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 01:45 PM
    thank you all she is fine..took her to the vet and shes ok..what a scare...she is a poodle. Thanks for all the concern :-)
    Thank you for letting us know. I've been thinking about her all day. Am thrilled she's okay.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 02:31 PM

As am I. Thanks for letting us know.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2010, 03:38 PM

Me too:) I'm glad she is OK!
    Post a picture:D we love pups!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 04:38 PM

I'm so glad she's okay.

While you're talking to the vet, I would recommend doing some x-rays of her spine. Poodles are prone to back problems, the earlier you detect it, the more option you have for treatment.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 11:58 PM

What size poodle?

Miniatures and toys can have trouble with their patellas which cause them to limp.
    Patellas are basically the knee cap on a dog. The 'cap' can slip out of place. It doesn't usually cause pain unless it is extreme and many dogs can just be left as they are without treatment.

Might be worth looking into.
    rstella Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 12:23 AM

Apparently aspirin is considered the safest anti-inflammatory for dogs - tylenol slightly less so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog ate a meat bone my dad gave him. My dog is now shaking and is lethargic [ 10 Answers ]

My dad heard on a radio show it is good to give dogs bones. So he gave my dog a meat bone and now my dog is shaking and acting lethargic. What should I do I am worried and concerned??

Gave my dog too low of a dosage for his hearworm treatment last month, will he be OK? [ 5 Answers ]

My dog weighs 102 lbs, the vet gave me a heartworm pill in a packet and told me to give him this pill for his May treatment. Come to find out, it was a heartworm pill for a dog up to 25 pounds and I was supposed to give it to him in addition to the pill for 51-100 pounds. My husband gave him the...

I think my dog may be hurt [ 12 Answers ]

When my dog runs sometimes he picks up his back left leg and carries it and hops on the other three. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and he doesn't have any trouble walking on it. He only does it when he runs. Could he have been injured and I didn't notice or is there any possibility that it...

My dog ate Tylenol [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so my 2.5 year old cocker Spaniel got into a bottle of Tylenol... I don't know how much she ate if anything at all, most of them seemed to be licked because of the raspberry (easy to swallow) coating on it. I was searching for other answers online and found this for someone who's 9 month...

Dog just gave birth [ 2 Answers ]

My dog just had four puppies three days ago but she won't eat anything but cheerios. I tried everything mixing the cheerios with dog food, dry and soft. My vet said she need all the food she can get because she is feeding the puppies. She needs to it other healthy stuff too. What can I do? Please...

View more questions Search