Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trader5904 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Thermostats
    Hope there is someone that can help me out my mother lives about an hour and a half from me and I was hooking up a thermostat for her heating and cooling unit her old unit was a rheem and the new one was a honeywell and the wiring digram was totally different is there anyone out there that can tell me how it should be wired for right now seams like the heat works well and the air works but the inside unit wants to keep running the only what to stop it is shut it all off can anyone please help me out here
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2006, 07:38 PM
    Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. Most thermostats and furnaces have the contacts labeled R, B or C, W, Y, and G for the corresponding wire colors. Many have RH and RC to allow separate transformers for heating and cooling. With just one red wire, jumper them. It may be wired to have the A/C control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan. Digital or programmable thermostats may need the blue wire connected to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostats HELP [ 2 Answers ]

Okay guys I just moved into a new place and the thermostat is way off. It's a mechanical one, so today I went out and bought a honeywell programmable one and tried to install it. The problem is the wiring which I have no clue. What is included in the honey well is: Y G W Rc Rh

Two Thermostats to One [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a separate thermostat for the heater and the A/C... I want to combine them into one thermostat... I have replaced the thermostat before, but my knowledge of the wiring is very basic... My issue is that I have two "R" wires and I am worried about combining them together since it is...

Are these Thermostats compatible? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Trane AC/Heat Pump with a non-programmable Honeywell T8411R Thermostat. I am thinking of purchasing a Programmable Honeywell T8611G2028 model (on EBay). Is this a compatible unit? Are all the wires that come through the wall to the T8411R complete to wire the new unit so it will work...

Thermostats [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kind of off the wall question. First of all, we have a hot water boiler system which is 2 zone (1 upstairs, 1 down). I was wondering if there was such a thing as putting an extra sensor in the bedrooms that would trigger the thermostat to kick on if one of the rooms gets below a certain...

Thermostats [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently purchase a home and I found two thermostats installed, they told me one controls de AC and heat and the other one heat only, They're located on different rooms. Can anybody tell me how can I replace this two thermostats into one? Thanks

View more questions Search