Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrysagon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 01:18 PM
    Mtd lawn tractor troubleshooting
    Hello, I have a 2008 MTD lawn tractor that has recently began slowing to a stop and then a very slow crawl while going up hill. It still moves and mows well in the flatter and gentiler grades although at times the speed will decrease even then. This machine used to take the uphill slopes with great power. Any ideas what might be the problem?

Thanks
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 04:19 PM

Hi,
    Answer depends on whether it is Transmatic or hydro. Model number always helps as well.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jun 15, 2010, 05:13 PM

You're quite right Clarke! It is a Bolens by MTD. M762F Model 183629. It boasts 6 speed shift on the go transmission. I don't know if that is transmatic or hydro. Thanks
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:52 PM

Transmatic .sound s like you need to have the drive belts replaced.

Jun 17, 2010, 06:36 AM

DG, Thanks so much! It makes sense. It looks like a bigger job than I have tools for, so I'll be taking it in. Thanks again!
    vaughnjh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2010, 08:42 AM
    The engine on my MTD Yard Machines lawn tractor decides to shut down after mowing awhile, as if the gas line is obstructed. I have removed the line from the carb and there is plenty of pressure from the gravity-fed tank through the line and filter. After sitting for a moment or two, it starts right back up. Could this be vapor-lock or something?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2010, 10:26 AM

Loosen gas cap when it happens. Start back up?
    vaughnjh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2010, 11:37 AM
    Comment on KISS's post
    Tried that. No change. Checked and cleaned/replaced air filter, too.?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2010, 07:11 PM

Check for spark when it happens. Might be the ignition going south.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2010, 04:26 PM

Sounds like you have debri in the carb bowl,
    Remove the bowl and clean it out run a wire through the center where you took the bowl bolt out.look at the bolt and see if there are any holes in it ,if so clean it also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I troubleshooting my MTD lawn tractor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi There, I have one MTD lawn tractor for many years. It is a MTD 14.5/42” 7 speed model. It stopped working during cutting the grass recently, and then I could not start this tractor any more. After then, I had replaced the new battery, new air filter, and the new spark plug. I had changed...

Mtd lawn mowers troubleshooting [ 22 Answers ]

Lawn tractor will not start. Had battery charged, goes to 15amp makes tatata sound when turn the ignition key. Please reply

Mtd lawn mower troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a MTD lawn tractor with a 16.5 HP briggs. I stopped dead while mowing. It has spark, I replaced the in line fuel filter. It will start with starting fluid, so I believe it's a fuel problem. I took the fuel line off and tried to blow into the carb but I couldn't blow, it was solid so I took...

Were is oil filter on 2005 mtd lawn tractor, hydrostatic lawn tractor [ 1 Answers ]

Were is the oil filter located on a mtd hydrostatic lawn tractor.

MTD Lawn Tractor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a MTD Lawn Tractor it mowes fine if you use 5th or 6th gear, but if you use any lower gears it doesn't pull. Anyone know what could be the problem? I've downloaded the owners manual and thought it would have a clutch, but can't find one. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search