Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gkaustin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 12:54 PM
    Flea treatment for 2 week old kittens
    Our momma kitty had a litter of 6 kittens, 3 survived, but are severely infested with fleas. What is a safe and effective way to treat kittens this young?
    theresa101 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Jun 22, 2010, 08:00 PM

I would recommend calling your veterinarian and see what they keep in stock that is safe for kittens that young. I would do it quickly or you could easily your kittens to flea anemia, if they are as you say-infested-mom will need treatment too. Do not-I repeat-Do not, buy anything off the shelf at the department store. You must be very careful what you put on cats as some can be very sensitive to the chemicals they contain. They may be cheaper, but you only need to see one cat that has been exposed to the toxins in them to be convinced that they are bad news. Trust the much tested products you can purchase at an animal clinc. What you can use I'm afraid will be a very short list. Hope this helps.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 22, 2010, 09:56 PM

You need to start by picking the fleas off the babies and mom at least twice a day. That's about all you can really do at this point. They're really too young to bathe, if it can be at all avoided. You can't bathe mom, either, as the babies will end up ingesting anything you put on her.

You need to treat your house, though. Wash any bedding used by your kitties in hot water, and dry for at least 30 minutes on high. If you can find it, diatomaceous earth is completely safe around kitties. Spread it on all carpet and furniture you can't wash, let it sit for about an hour or so, then vacuum it up.

Picking the fleas off the kitties twice a day and treating your house once or twice a week should get rid of the fleas.
    theresa101 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Jun 23, 2010, 04:20 PM

Treating the environment is very important, but there is product on the market now that is safe for nursing cats, not sure if I can mention the brand name on this site. It is in pill form and you can only get it from your vet. We have used this product safely for about a year now at our clinic. The drawback is the effects of the pill only lasts 24 hours, so the bedding would need to be dealt with at this time also. We also used to carry a flea killing spray that could be sprayed onto a cloth and wrapped around kittens body, effectively "stunning fleas" so they could be more easily removed. I wish we still carried that stuff, but sadly we do not. Another drawback to these products is that you have to be careful if you are dealing with debilitated animals. If there is a true infestation you have got to kill the fleas or they will literally suck your littles dry. Hence the urgency to act quickly and the suggestion to contact your vet to see if they have these products.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fleas Treatment for 2 week old kittens [ 9 Answers ]

My New Cat had her Kittens - 4 cute little ones, :D My question is how can I treat them to prevent fleas. I had a Flea collar on the mother until a few day before her litter was born(she got it off) And I was advise to take it off, to make sure it didn't harm the litter I am not sure, but I...

Flea treatment for kittens [ 1 Answers ]

How can I treat fleas on 4 week old kittens?

Flea baths for kittens [ 3 Answers ]

I have been given a mother and her 3 kittens. The kittens are still nursing. They are about 4weeks old now, they are wondering around and starting to climb a little bit. They all have fleas. Am i able to give them anything or put a flea collar on them? Also am i able to give them baths yet, if so...

2 week kittens flea infested [ 1 Answers ]

Yes I was wondering if anyone would know if it is OK to use vinger water on 2 week old kittens... We have found a mother and took her in and she gave birth 2 5 kittens... and now all of them are infested with fleas bad... I need to know if there is anything cheap we can use for them... I heard...

Flea treatment for 10 week old puppy [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old belgian shepherd who is chewing the hair off his backside right above his tail. I washed him in sergeants flea shampoo for puppies but it is only getting worse. Can anyone recommend a flea treatment that is safe for puppies and is there anything topical to stop him from chewing...

View more questions Search