Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deeann55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 06:40 AM
    Power of attorney FEES
    I have been appointed power of attorney over my aunt and uncle although I feel awkward I feel I should be compensated somehow for my time and travel expenses I had all the medical needs etc I amsearching for an assisted living home for them and all the red tape. We are 230 miles apart so its a lot of time and effort to get things accomplished what do you think is reasonable?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2010, 07:44 AM

You aren't going to like this but I think it's unconscionable to request payment. If you don't want the P/A, decline and let someone else take over.

I realize people DO request payment, come to an agreement, charge for "services" rendered under the P/A.

Again - opinion. Travel expenses, yes, I would ask for reimbursement. Your time? I don't know - how experienced are you in these matters and what would you be paid in the open market.

Sorry to be harsh but I have family experience with this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 15, 2010, 09:40 AM

You don't get "appointed" here. A POA is a document that a person signs giving another person the power to sign legal documents for them if they are unable to act on their own. Someone asks if you will act for them and then sign a POA given you the power to act.

Now there are times, like when an attorney is granted POA that fees may be involved. But for you to get paid for doing a service for a family member means a financial arrangement must be agreed on as part of the POA. It should have been mentioned up front.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2010, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You don't get "appointed" here. A POA is a document that a person signs giving another person the power to sign legal documents for them if they are unable to act on their own. Someone asks if you will act for them and then sign a POA given you the power to act.

Now there are times, like when an attorney is granted POA that fees may be involved. But for you to get paid for doing a service for a family member means a financial arrangement must be agreed on as part of the POA. It should have been mentioned up front.

Now I wonder - was this a Court appointment? Are the relatives unable to act and a guardian/PA of some sort was set up?

If so I would think this would have been covered from the beginning.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 10:22 AM

Some states have established rates of pay for ficuciaries such as this. What state is it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 15, 2010, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Some states have established rates of pay for ficuciaries such as this. What state is it?
    Agreed, but in that case, the OP would have been appointed as a guardian or fiduciary by a court and a fee structure would have been discussed at the beginning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power of Attorney fees [ 4 Answers ]

What is a reasonable amount to charge someone for your services as theur POA? And would this be by the week, month or term of service?

Power of attorney fees [ 3 Answers ]

My dads brother passed away about a year ago and my dad became power of attorney for his property and financial assets. Now, I think my dad should be paid for his troubles, and there have been some. My uncles assets include two older houses and about 200k in the bank. Can you help me with this.....

View more questions Search