Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nicky1978 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 04:05 PM
    Extraction
    Hi, I went to the dentist the other day and was told I need to have an extraction done. I was given antibiotics and have taken them. I don't have any pain yet but do have swelling gums. I have an appointment in a month (earliest I could get in). Will the infection come back in this time or has it even gone away? What should I do in the meantime?

Thanks

Nicky:confused:
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 19, 2006, 04:36 PM
    If he is willing to extract after that amount of time has elapsed since you last took the antibiotics then it should mean that he is sure that the infection has been taken care of. Did he offer you the option of a root canal? Extraction is the last recourse and recommended only in the cases where root canal isn't possible. I had one dentist insisting that I get my tooth extracted so he could prepare my adjacent teeth as anchors for a bridge. So some do have other criteria. Has he mentioned a bridge? As a patient you should be told about the choices available to you so you can make an informed decision.

In the meantime take your medicine and be sure to get a second opinion if you can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search