Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sniperblade9 Posts: 138, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2010, 09:04 PM
    Anti depressants
    Is their any anti depressant that you can buy at Walmart or a similar store without a prescription?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 14, 2010, 11:26 PM
    You can get herbal antidepressants such as Passionflower and Chamomile, Ginkgo Biloba, Siberian Ginseng or SAMe without prescription.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2010, 11:33 PM

My question for you is that have you seen your doctor? Is this self treatment? Even with natural or herbal antidepressants you need to be very careful in the taking of it.

Jun 14, 2010, 11:55 PM
    I haven't seen a doctor for a few years about it and that was when I was arrested and put into regional west for depression, suicidal thoughts, and homicidal thoughts. I was put on pills then, but I didn't think it helped and I eventually just stopped taking them and moved on and now I think I need some more, but I don't want to go back to that horrible place and stay their because of it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 12:09 AM
    You don't necessarily have to go and stay in a hospital to get help. These over-the-counter remedies probably won't help you if you are this severe.

What you need to do is open up to your doctor. If you aren't a risk to yourself or others they can't place you in a hospital.

Non-compliance with medication and self-medication are common among depressed people. You just have to know that you need medication and take it as prescribed to get any beneficial effects from it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 12:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperblade9 View Post
    I haven't seen a doctor for a few years about it and that was when I was arrested and put into regional west for depression, suicidal thoughts, and homicidal thoughts. I was put on pills then, but I didn't think it helped and i eventually just stopped taking them and moved on and now I think i need some more, but I don't want to go back to that horrible place and stay their because of it.
    I want to add that often, antidepressants can take months before you notice any effect. You can't just try them for a few weeks before determining whether they are working.

Also, there are so many different medications on the market. If one doesn't work, even after 6 months of taking it, then there are other options. Just keep trying until you find the one that works for you.

You do need to be under a doctors care though. Don't be worried. Your doctor can help, if you let him.

There are many people that need antidepressants. I'm one of them. So don't give up. There is help. Just talk to your doctor.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2010, 05:08 AM
    As was already stated above,your need to see a doctor for this is probably in your best interest.

It took me years to get to a steady pace with my problems,medications,doctors,therapists,etc.

If one doesn't work(whether it be a doctor,medication,whatever), go for a different one,switching doctors was the key to my success.

I was under the impression that once you have a doc,you need to stay with them, I did that for more than 12 years.I was spinning my wheels.

Since I changed doctors,I haven't been hospitalized(like I was often in the past),my medications have been lowered(as for the antidepressants),and my life has been somewhat stable, (I don't think life can be TOTALLY stable, but better than it was without medications.)

If you need assistance looking for help,or just want to write about where you want to go with therapy,etc, write back:)

Ken
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Jun 15, 2010, 05:16 AM

The herb St John's Wort, also known as hypericum, has been shown in clinical trials to be as affective as prescribed anti-depressions in moderate depression. It's readily available here in the Uk in supermarkets, don't know if it is in the USA. I know several people who have used this in preferance to anti-depressants with good results.

However if you are having suicidal and homicidal thoughts I would be looking for some professional help. If you do not want to consult a doctor how about a homoeopath? People have had excellent results with homoeopathy for quite severe mental distress.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2010, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by QLP View Post
    The herb St John's Wort, also known as hypericum, has been shown in clinical trials to be as affective as prescribed anti-depressions in moderate depression. It's readily available here in the Uk in supermarkets, don't know if it is in the USA. I know several people who have used this in preferance to anti-depressants with good results.

However if you are having suicidal and homicidal thoughts I would be looking for some professional help. If you do not want to consult a doctor how about a homoeopath? People have had excellent results with homoeopathy for quite severe mental distress.
    The regulation of dosages,quality/consistency of the herbs,etc.are always suspect,that's why most will go with actual medicines.(at least me,I can't afford to take a chance that something may or may not work right)

Jun 15, 2010, 11:40 AM

I use to take a little purple pill for like 6 months and I told my mother and some other people that it didn't work, but they said it did. I just kept most of the stuff to myself. I think I'll try stuff that you can just buy so my mom doesn't have a fit on how much it will cost...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Risk of suicide with anti-depressants [ 10 Answers ]

I want to talk over how I am feeling with you guys; starting afresh. On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is black hole depression with complete despair, and 10 is happy and content... Before anti depressents and with no exercise, I have been as low as 1-2. Exercise helps a lot and with it I feel about...

Anti-depressants and Pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody tell me which anti-depressants are safe to take during pregnancy? I am a military wife and we have been transferred to a new state recently and have not been set up with Dr.'s yet. We're working on it, but I don't want to keep taking this medication if it is hurting my baby. I am...

My doc put me on anti-depressants [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if this sounds normal to anyone. He put me on a 10 low dose of anti-depressants to get ride of my headaches. I've been on them for almost 2 weeks now and yes they have helped. Though my boyfriend thinks that I've gone crazy now. Am I going to have to stay on these forever so my...

Anyone know anything about anti-depressants? [ 10 Answers ]

My doctor recommended them to me but I'm really scared of using them. Does anyone know any possible side effects they may have (ex. Prozac)

Medications/Anti-depressants and relationships [ 4 Answers ]

I posted this in relationships with no comments received, so it may be a better fit here: Anyone here in a relationship while being prescribed or using anti-depressants? How have they helped? Hurt? Been effective/inneffective? I ask because I am curious to see how people on this forum...

View more questions Search