Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daisymay54101 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2010, 02:39 PM
    If a cosigner on a student loan passes away, is the spouse responsible for payment
    My husband cosigned on a sallie may loan for daughter going to college. He passed away 3 years ago. Am I responsible for this debt if she misses payments?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 05:56 AM

You are not responsible if you did not co-sign the loan. However, your husband's estate is responsible. So if he had any assets at the time of his passing - including such things as investments, retirement account, checking or savings account, cars, boats, etc then the loan agancy can come after those items.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get a student loan without a cosigner [ 2 Answers ]

After FAFSA loans I still have a $11000-16000/yr balance... I need a student loan to pay the balance but do not have a cosigner... will I be able to get one without a cosigner?

I have a forbearence on a student loan and a payment arrangement on an account. [ 1 Answers ]

... through a collection agency, can the companies take my tax refund? :(

Student Loan and ex-spouse [ 1 Answers ]

My former husband agreed to fund my son's education but because his credit was bad I signed for the loan and he signed and had notorized a letter agreeing to pay this back. This was several years ago and he is in arrears and my credit is bad because of this. He keeps saying he's trying but obviosly...

Chapter 13 Student Loan Payment [ 3 Answers ]

I filed chapter 13 ten years ago and satisified my judgement. I have since received a summons for $10K from an attorney representing a collection agency that bought my student loans. In the orginial petitition the bank that issued the loan never filed a claim. They are listed as a regular...

View more questions Search