Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judylucy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2010, 12:59 PM
    How can I seal cracks in my basement wall without hiring a contractor?
    I have a few small minor cracks in my basement wall and after a heavy rain sometimes I get seepage through the cracks. Is there a solution I can use to remedy this?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2010, 01:05 PM
    Hi, judylucy!

How much water is coming through the cracks, please?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2010, 01:50 PM
    Okay. I can see that you're no longer logged onto the site, judylucy.

If it's just minor, occasional seepage, then you can widen the cracks a bit and use some hydraulic cement in them.

Please follow all the directions on the can.

Thanks!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2010, 07:21 PM

After filling cracks as Clough said, paint with water proofing paint. U will need 2 coats.

Chuck
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2010, 01:10 AM
    Hi, creahands!

Filling the cracks and applying the waterproofing paint is what I did in my basement many years ago. It's still holding up!

Thanks!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2010, 02:45 AM

Hi Clough

No problem. Did mine that way and I had major water problems.

Also cut French drain around just encase water did get in.

Chuck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 14, 2010, 04:01 AM

heavy rain sometimes I get seepage through the cracks.
    The most effective, and most important thing you can do for this type of situation is to make sure that gutters and down spouts are clean and working, make sure that splash blocks or piping is in place to carry rain water away from the house, and make sure that grading is such that surface water drains away from the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair cracks in wall [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 cracks in my wall that are about 1/4 in. wide and 3ft. Long. I called a contractor out and he told me that the cracks were not from the foundation. How can I repair these cracks myself

Small cracks appearing in a bedroom wall [ 5 Answers ]

We moved into a house which was built in the late 1980's. Most of the house (except for bedrooms) had been wallpapered. Upstairs in one bedroom - after we moved in we noticed small cracks appearing in the walls. The wall is smooth and the cracks are small (hairline cracks) actually, but they are...

Social Security Maximum Taxable Earnings when hiring a former independent contractor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a payroll question about someone who has been paid as an independent contractor (1099) and is now being hired and moved to regular payroll. He already been paid from us more than $102,000 this year (since Jan. 1), and assuming he has been paying his self-employed Social Security taxes, he...

Cracks where ceiling meets wall [ 4 Answers ]

I moved in 30 years ole house 4 years ago. When I moved in, the house was newly painted. Now I found cracks on paint everywhere. I don't worry about them 'cause it's just cosmetic. However, there's a long line of crack where ceiling meets wall in all three bedrooms upstairs. It's like...

Hairline Cracks in Fiberglass Tub Wall [ 2 Answers ]

My 25 year old 1 piece fiberglass tub shower unit has developed three 2 inch hairline cracks in the shower wall. It does not appear that water is seeping through the cracks. Is there a preferred sealant for ensuring that water does not sweep throgh these cracks? Thanks, Steve

View more questions Search