Ask
    tbirdsilver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 11:17 AM
    Furnace control board
    Can the board be repaired or do I need to replace it
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2006, 05:59 AM
    It is better to replace them than to repair.
    bkspero Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Dec 13, 2006, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tbirdsilver
    Can the board be repaired or do i need to replace it
    Depends upon the problem with the board, whether you can diagnose the failed component, and whether you feel comfortable desoldering and resoldering circuit board components. Personally, if I was confident that the problem was just a failed relay, and I could get a replacement from one of the online electrical/electronic component houses like Mouser.com or Allied Electronics, then I would try to repair it. But that's a pretty narrow and personal choice.

It is far easier to just buy a new board and do a 1 for 1 swap. I just did that. Bought the board on eBay at a very reasonable price, and it was a 20 minute job to make the switch.

But even that takes some care and knowledge to do safely and correctly. To insure that all power is off, that there are no charged capacitors in the vicinity, that you can recognize the different lines connecting to the board and what they do, and to properly handle the new board.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Furnace Control Board? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Carrier 58PAV that intermittently aborts or sometimes clicks on and off at the draft blower stage. I found out I can move the control board (HK42FZ007) when the blower motor clicks off, and it clicks and comes right back on. If I hold it just right, the furnace starts and if I manage to...

Power to furnace control board but stops there [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was given a Nordyne KG6RA gas furnace. After installing, I turned on and there was a low hum when the power got to it. I held the door switch closed so I could see. After a few seconds there was a spark and then blue smoke and everything went dead. I could not see where the smoke came...

Wiring question for new blower control board [ 1 Answers ]

Just bought the Lennox blower control board replacement kit - 31M73 I'm stuck on wiring the transformer--- The five wires coming out of the transformer going to the old board are - Yellow - common Blue - 24 vac Orange-L2 XFMER Primary Black - L1 XFMER Primary Red - PARK

Powering the G terminal on my furnace control board [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! My furnace's control board recently blew and the repair guy replaced it with a different kind. Aparently the new board requires a wire from the thermostat to the G terminal to work the A/C fan, and the old one didn't. The repair guy would need to make another trip for this repair. I am...

Furnace blower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a older home with a older furnace. I started it up this fall and the blower continues to run after the house has warmed and the themostat has turned off. The blower runs and runs, blowing cool air. To stop it I have to turn off the main switch to the furnace. What do you think the...

View more questions Search