Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charro08 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2010, 12:32 PM
    Conure parrot has bald spot on nape of neck
    I just adopted a conure parrot nfrom a family that had kept the parrot cover a lot of the tme. He is not hand friendly . But getting better . My real concern is the bald spot on the nape of his neck... I have had him for over 2 months and I do not see any new feathers. Is this stress as I originally thought , or is it something else thank you
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2010, 05:32 PM

Are the feathers in a place where he can pick a them? Is he using his foot to rub the area? An avian vet should probably take a look at him and do an overall health check.

If you can let him have out of cage time on a perch and get him to bathe in a large shallow bowl this can help with his need for contact and possible boredom. Use a step-up stick if he is afraid or tries to bite hands. Move slowly and speak softly. Clipped wings and nails are probably a must if he is handled and allowed out of his cage.

Conures are usually quite loud. That could be the reason why his former family kept his cage covered. These little guys can make great doorbells, letting you know if someone has pulled up to the house long before you hear it.

Food allergies can cause itching and plucking. A varied diet of fresh fruit and vegetables along with cooked grain, pasta and seeds really helps (good for boredom too.) If he is resistant to eating new things, try putting a little in with his regular food.

Pellets are a good source of nutrients but certain brands can cause problems like plucking in some birds.

Sunflower seeds are sometimes called "birdie opium." Removing these from his diet may help him calm down too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get rid of dark spot on my neck [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I seriously need get rid of dark spot around my neck it started after my first child and since I have been battling this condition.

Found a bald spot [ 9 Answers ]

I've got a carolina dog ( I seem to start with this line all the time but oh well lol) and before we got him he had a bad habit of chewing his feet... We've had him since November and since we have put him on a grain and wheat free food he has stopped chewing so I'm assuming it was an allergy or...

Do you have a parrot? Or a parrot idea? [ 10 Answers ]

I have quite a few parrots from Parakeet to Macaw, but have not spent enough time with them in the past 6 weeks or so. I just moved, and moved away from my friends who also keep birds. Parrots need a lot of one-on-one, as much or more than children do. One in particular is really suffering from...

View more questions Search