Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashlym84 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 03:11 PM
    Hey! Honda finally got back to me and said I needed sparkplugs, sparkwires, coil igniter, distributor cap, and something that starts with a "r".
    He said the entire ignition system...

What do you think?

Oct 6, 2010, 03:33 PM
    Distributor cap, distributor rotor, coil ignitor, spark plugs and sparkwires for $800.00..
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 04:32 PM

Honda's analysis agrees with my original recommendation of replacing the Ignition Control Module and coil.

Buy the parts yourself at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Then, take my instructions on how to replace the igniter, coil, and rotor to a reputable mechanic and just have them install your parts. You should be able to save a bundle. $800 is way too high.

If you buy a BWD brand distributor cap and rotor, from O'Reilly Auto Parts, they come with a lifetime warranty. They are better than Honda's distributor cap, since they come with brass (not aluminum) contacts inside and have a lifetime warranty. With my instructions, you can replace all of the parts they suggest at a fraction of the money.

Oct 6, 2010, 05:21 PM
    I'm going to purchase the main relay tomorrow...

Oct 6, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Thank you so much for your assistance, you are awesome!! :)
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 05:26 PM

Is the catalytic converter fine? These new components should restore "like new" reliability and performance.

Oct 6, 2010, 05:40 PM
    The dealership did not mention the code to me (they had my vehicle all day today). I will pick up my vehicle tomorrow. I'm going to purchase 1 part (main relay, ICM, coil) at a time because of my financial situation.
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 05:43 PM

In my opinion, the ICM is the most crucial components that likely needs replacing. Again, save your money and don't buy it from Honda. It's too bad you don't have a friend who would do the work for you free of charge. It's easiest, however, to do the ICM, coil, and rotor at the same time, since the distributor cap needs to come off.

Oct 6, 2010, 05:55 PM
    I should by the ICM first?
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 06:00 PM

It's really best to replace the ICM, coil, and rotor. My bet, however, is that the ICM is what is really failing. Your call.

Oct 6, 2010, 06:05 PM
    Okay, I'm doing price checks on ICM on O'Reillyautoparts.com: $49.99 & $191.99, which brand do you prefer? BWD?
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 06:18 PM

For the money and warranty, go with the Master Pro for $49.99. At AMHD, we have not had any problems with aftermarket ICMs. Just make sure you double-check and get the right one for your exact car.

AutoZone also has an ICM for $49.99 for your car. Either one should be fine.

Oct 6, 2010, 06:37 PM
    Okay, great, I will keep you posted! :)

Oct 7, 2010, 09:39 AM
    Hey TGM, my mechanic replaced the Coil, I drove my vehicle around for about 10 - 15mins... check engine light came on... went to autozone; code P0420: catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1.

Oct 7, 2010, 09:52 AM
    Oh, I will be replacing my CV axle, I hear a clicking sound on my side..
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2010, 09:57 AM

Is he going to replace the ICM? If so, make sure he applies the heat transfer compound to the back of the ICM--otherwise, it won't last long.

Oct 7, 2010, 10:01 AM
    He wanted to wait on it first, I just called the shop about the code, he said he wanted to wait on it and maybe that the system does not recognize the new coil. When I picked up my car this morning from Honda, the check engine light was not on. I bought the ICM, it's still in the box.
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2010, 10:05 AM

Really, there's no need to wait on the ICM and there's no need for the system to recognize the new coil.

It's best to remove the coil before replacing the ICM, anyhow. It provides more room to get to the ICM. I don't know where he's coming from. I still believe the ICM is the real problem.

Oct 7, 2010, 10:10 AM
    Okay, I can get him to put it on when he replaces the CV axle. What about the code: catalyst system efficiency below threshold? Air leak? Gasket?
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2010, 10:19 AM

I would wait and see if replacing the ICM solves that problem. Make sure he uses a code reader or scan tool to clear all codes, once the new ICM is installed. Afterwards, that code may not come back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 Honda accord Ex stalling [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 99 Hoda accord. Since I have had the car it randomly stalls out. It can be idling or while I'm driving it will stall. I took it to the dealership and they said they we're unable to duplicate the problem. So I researched on the internet and found that this is a problem...

1999 honda accord stalling [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Hoping someone can help me. I have a 1999 honda accord that stalls when coming to a stop. This will happen regularly and then go a period where everything is OK. I was told by Honda as a result of there scope, to replace the ignition switch. I had this done at the dealer and my car is still...

1999 Honda Accord Stalling [ 2 Answers ]

I've read other posts about the ignition recall and in April of 2007 I had the Honda dealer in my area fix the recall. In July after starting my car when leaving work for the day, my car would just shut off at the 2nd or 3rd red light I came to (within 1/4 to 3/4 of a mile). What I did notice is...

1999 Honda Accord Stalling [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1999 Accord and it has been stalling while I am driving and it is very random when it does this. I had igination switche replaced under the recall about 2 years ago, so I hoping this is not the problem all over again. I have read recently on this web site about this problem and wonder...

1999 Honda Accord Stalling [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my sister has a 1999 Honda Accord Coupe EX with the 2.3l VTEC, 5 spd. Awesome car. 200k. The main ignition relay was promptly replaced in the summer. No engine light. Lately, the idle control is unstable. When the car is cold and you approach a corner and push in the clutch without...

View more questions Search