Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fada_07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 07:40 AM
    21 years old adoption
    Hi, I am 21 years old.
    I work for a family as a nanny for years... I love them very much and they also love me.
    They want to adopt me then I can for real become part of the family and become legal again! I am Brazilian, and I am no longer legal here. I would like to know if this adoption will be possible.
    We really want this!
    Thanks
    L
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2006, 07:51 AM
    I'm from the UK and not entirely sure of the US position.. but I would guess that since you are 21 you are your own person, you cannot be adopted because you are an adult and you don't need a guardian any more.

As long as you are in the country legally, then you are able to make your own choice of where to live, and if that means you want to live with this family then it is their and your decision.

I see that you are no longer in the country legally.. you may need to find out how to apply for US citizenship if you don't have it already. Others can probably advise you about that better than I.

I don't think that adoption is an available option to you as you are an adult in the eyes of the law.

Best wishes with your life. :)
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2006, 08:06 PM
    At age 21 you are an emancipated adult so a legal adoption is not possible. Try to renew your status as a resident alien and then go through the naturalization process.
    lynnfarnham632002 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 11:23 AM
    I feel that if you go through the right connections it can become legal. Just keep your head up and pray that there is a way, Talk to a judge, lawyer. If you want something bad enough, than it is never impossible to get a Great thing. If you love this family and this family loves you, then it WILL happen. Have faith.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption [ 7 Answers ]

I am 14 years old and I am adopted. I get nervous when I talk about it. What should I do to not be so nervous?

Adoption process [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I live in New York and I'm not really sure how the adoption process goes and I would really appreciate a little help. My ex and I were together for a couple of years. She had a beautiful daughter who I took in as my own. We are on good terms. We aren't together anymore but we have an...

Adoption [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I was adopted 7 years ago with my twin. We were adopted from St.Petersburg, Russia and I really want to find my real Mom. I know that there might be a slight chance she could be dead because she was a serious heroin user. I am 16 and I feel like I am at a point in my life in which I am ready to...

Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was adopted by a wonderful couple when I was only 3 months old. They never hid that from me and I am grateful. But 3 years ago I was contacted by my birth siblings. They are all nuts. I feel sorry for them. I was so lucky to have been placed in a loving home. I don't want them to call or come to...

Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone know of a forum that deals with adoption law? Or can anyone here answer what I think is a simple question on the subject?

View more questions Search