Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerryjohnsonsr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2010, 05:13 AM
    Can I replace a basement floor drain with a sump pump?
    There is a two inch ditch just inside walls that lead to floor drain (8 3/4 inches square, with two inch round hole in center). Can I dig this up and replace with a sump pump? I get water backing up through drain during heavy rain that floods my basement (clear water)?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 11, 2010, 05:37 AM

Are you on a septic tank or city sewer? Let me know, Tom
    jerryjohnsonsr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2010, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Are you on a septic tank or city sewer? Let me know, Tom
    I am on a city sewer and the water that comes up through my basement floor drain is clear and non-smelling. I also have a gutter downspout on either side of the house going into the ground.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 11, 2010, 06:14 AM

If local codes allow you to discharge into the city sewer, (mine do not) then install your sump pump.
    I would also construct a dry well, (see image) away from the house so the rain water from the gutters doesn't enter your basement, if you do that first you might not even need a sump pump. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gurgeling coming from drain in tub on second floor every time sump pump runs [ 2 Answers ]

My husband installed a new sump pump in the basement. Every time the pump runs, the bathtub drain on the second floor makes a loud gurgeling noise. The snow is melting and it's raining. The pump is running a lot. It sounds like a symphony in my bathroom. HELP!!

Tying a basement floor drain into sump basin [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to install a floor drain in my basement which will discharge into my sump basin. Unfortunately, water on the floor will not flow into my sump since the lip of the liner is actually sitting on top of the slab, surpassing it by about a 1/4 inch. It was installed to collect water from...

Kitchen sink drain gurgles when basement sump pump runs [ 0 Answers ]

When the basement sump pump runs the drains in my kitchen gurgle loudly. The sump pump well is in the basement and is the discharge for the CWM. The pump also discharges water. The discharge pipe connects to the main sewer line to the septic tank. The kitchen is on the first floor one room away...

Is trapped drain in basement an alternative to sump pump? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I have groundwater entering my basement during storms at one single point in the floor, and at no other place currently. It is earthen in the small area where the water enters. I can pinpoint the point of entrace with a pencil tip! The water drains down a worn channel about one foot in...

Toilet drain to Basement Sump pump [ 7 Answers ]

I want to add a bathroom in my basement. I was wondering if I could run my toilet drain into the sump pump hole. ( I have my own septic symstem and the drain leaving the house is 4ft. Above the basement floor). Also, would this need to be vented? The toilet would be about 6 to 8 ft. from the...

View more questions Search