Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sabbott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 10:39 PM
    How do I put healthy weight on my young dog?
    I have a silky terrier that is 1.5 years old. My little guy is healthy and active. My vet says he is border line thin but healthy and physcally fit. She told me to keep an eye on his wieght so he doesn't lose any more. I do not want to comprise my dogs health in anyway, but everyone who holds/pets my dog comments on his protruding back bone and ribby sides. I feed him high quality food twice a day. He eats all he wants in both feedings. Personnaly, I think he is beautiful, but wonder if I need to adjust his diet in a way that puts a little bit of meat on his tiny structure so his backbone doesn't seem to evident.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2010, 10:58 PM

Did he have a full check-up while he was at the vet? No sign of worms or gastric problems?

You can try introducing some richer foods into his diet. Chicken wings are good (raw, not cooked), they are very fatty, but start giving them slowly, just 1/3 of a wing on day one, then 2/3 the next day and so on or they could cause constipation.

Lamb flap is another good fatty meat. Again, only start in very small amounts and build up. Lamb flap is a different kind of fat, it is a healthy fat but you do have to be careful in not giving too much or it can lead to pancreatitis. Half a fist worth a day is fine added to the dry food.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Healthy weight? Or lose weight? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to raise my fitness level and loose wieght around my stomach, and upper legs. Although my family and friends say losing wieght would be dangerous, but I think there just saying that. Im so confused, I see myself as overweight and my family sees me as fine. I hate being so self...

How can I get my dog to put on weight [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone I wonder if anyone can help me I have a 4 year old german shephard he is a great dog but is under weight we have had him for a couple of months now and nothing we do seems to help can anyone give me any advice. Thanks in advance

Young and really want to loose weight but be healthy [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm 14 and weigh 7st 7, my height is 5ft 1, and people tell me that I don't need to loose weight, but I am really not confident with the way I look at the moment. I really just want to know how to loose weight quickley but be healthy at the same time, I don't want to over do it, but I...

Dog is underweight - What is the healthy way to get her to gain some weight? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Boxer. She is a fantastic dog. However, I am concerned that she is underweight. From the day we got her, she has not been food motivated. Initially, I tried the feed her 3 times a day and only leave it out for 15 minutes. The theory goes that they will learn that the food...

Any ideas how to put weight on in a healthy way [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I weigh 53kg and I'm about 165 cm tall I recently had a baby well 6 months ago and seem to be losing weight I have tried to eat all day to put weight on but for some reason it keeps coming off I'm not breastfeeding either please help I'm really concerned about my weight.

View more questions Search