Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sparky05 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 06:54 PM
    Being served papers
    My girl friend got a call from someone saying they were going to serve her with papers at home and work for lawyer fraud, I have never heard of this can anyone help?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 07:02 PM

Your going to have to see the papers before any further comments can be made. Its unusual for someone to call in advance when serving someone so far as I know. And there is no need to serve a person twice. With exception of some do as practice both service by mail and personal service. Other then that serving twice could be harassment.
    sparky05 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 07:11 PM
    I should note that she is not a lawyer and I do not know what this lawyer fraud is. Has anyone heard of being served for lawyer fraud?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2010, 06:41 AM

Hello s:

Of course, if somebody cheated a lawyer out of some money, the lawyer sues for fraud... I'm sure it happens EVERY DAY. You should be asking your girlfriend exactly what she did. THEN come back and talk to us.

excon
    jpbuzzworthy Posts: 47, Reputation: 4
    -

Jun 11, 2010, 06:48 AM

It's highly irregular for them to call ahead. Unless they have made numerous attempts to serve you already.

Beware, if anyone you talk to regarding this says anything about "settling out of court" or about collecting money in any way, be very wary! There is a chance that this is a scam that has been run in the past, here and in other countries.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 09:47 AM

First was there something that happened, to make this possible charge true ?

But also did they ask for any ID information, perhaps trying to get you to give our social security number and other ID over the phone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Papers served [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served papers by a collection agency to pay an amount of money I don't have. My options are to pay the debt plus court cost or deny and go to court. What do I do I don't have the money?

Papers served [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-son in law wants to have papers served for my daughter in care of me. She does not live here, I don't knoe where she lives and I explained that to him on the phone. I gave him her email address, that is all I have for her. When the papers come, addressed to her,in care of me, am I...

Served papers or not? [ 6 Answers ]

If you are verbally served to appear in court as a witness, is it legal?

Being served papers [ 1 Answers ]

I have some kind of a sheriff processor that is trying to serve me papers at my house. He also has called my son to try and pick up these papers. I am sure it is over an old credit card bill. I know that if I accept the papers then will have a court date and then if I do not go to court they put a...

Served Papers [ 1 Answers ]

I got served papers a 30 days ago by my sons father. We currently do not have anything on paper about who has custody and have not since he was born. Our son spends 3 days a week with him and 4 days with me. I live an hour away from his father and the papers that I got served with are asking for...

View more questions Search