Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GoodLuckPig Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 01:44 PM
    Employer refuses to pay for all hours worked
    Not sure if this is the right section. There are two questions really.
    First I have worked over 100 hours the last two weeks, Exactly 103 to be exact at 10 an hour. I will pay all the taxes at the end of the year under a 1099. So I should get paid 1030.00. He refuses to give the full amount, only 840.00. However I do have about $400 in checks I collected from his clients after finishing the work. So what can I do about him not paying my full hours. He doesn't keep track of my hours, I do. Also, since I did the work, and the checks were handed to me, can I cash the checks and subtract the difference? I quit and kept the checks after a big argument about him not paying. Any help?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 03:03 PM

No, if you cash checks that are suppose to go to him, that is theft and I am sure they will want "justice" for it.

So you turn in in writing your hours, if he does not pay, you sue them in small claims court for what they owe you.

Since you are not an employee, but a private contractor ( that is what 1099 is) you can't go to the department of labor which is where employees can go

Jun 10, 2010, 05:25 PM

I haven't had to work that much so I don't know much about the tax forms and stuff, when I was talking to him about it he said it would be stupid to do a w-4 as a subcontracter and that he would just file taxes at the end of the year. All I really understood is that I just going to have to pay taxes at the end of the year. The guy and the business was a joke glad I left.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 06:15 PM

As a 1099 worker ( you are not an employee) he does not have to pay any matching Social security funds, does not have to pay workers comp insurance and does not have to offer you any benefits.

You will have to pay full taxes on this, so figure 30 to 40 percent of what you make should be saved to pay for the taxes on it
    ** average***

Jun 10, 2010, 06:18 PM

I was also wondering since I am 23 hours overtime, do get overtime pay for those 23 hours. However, I was the only employee of this guy.

I was also wondering, when I was hired our agreement was I was to be a full time employee, however in the first week I only worked 22 hours and the second week 29.5 hours. Isn't there a minimum of hours you have to pay for a full time employee.

Since I was the only employee for this company he he exempt from those laws if they exist? Secondly isn't it illegal to have me hiried as a contractor by the hour and I don't have a license.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer Refuses to Pay [ 5 Answers ]

I have made every effort to get my final paycheck from my former employer. They refuse to send it. My next step is small claims court. Can I sue for court costs?

Decrease in pay for hours already worked [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I work for a small home health agency and recently- has decreased my pay by $2. I asked my boss if it was effective the day we discussed and he was not sure. Our payroll is done on the 15th and last day of the month and is 1 pay period behind. Example: If its April 15th- you will be paid for...

Hours worked and salary [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently been asked to work more hours due to the loss of other employees. My job consists of many miles of driving between facilities however drive time is not always included. My contract did state that I will be paid a certain amount averaging 40 hours a week. A year and a half later...

Pay Stubs / Hours worked [ 6 Answers ]

My son works for a small class C corporation in Virginia. For the past three years all he receives is his weekly paycheck no stub giving the deductions held back by the employer. In fact he was told that because the company is so small they are not required to give pay stubs. My understanding...

Salary v.s. Hours worked [ 2 Answers ]

If you work for a company making 35K salary, are there any limits to the amount of hours that you can be demanded to work? In specific, this company is requiring me to work 11-16 hours a day and possibly working weekends as well. There is no compensation for over-time as the pay is set at a...

View more questions Search