Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angeldeb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 09:33 PM
    Plumbing question
    I recently rented a townhouse and after 5 days of living here I noticed the toilet leaking. There was a drip off the side of the bowl and the shut off valve line is also leaking. The toilet was covered in mould which I had to clean off. When asking the landlord to fix it he is accusing me of breaking it saying there were fresh marks on the valve and no leak in the toilet but there is water on the floor. I did nothing and am wondering if after sitting unused for almost 2 years can it spring a leak after being used frequently again?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Dec 10, 2006, 10:52 PM
    I would think the landlord is resposible regardless, If there are fresh wrench marks it would not be because you enjoy working on toilets and wanted to CAUSE a leak. He needs to understand, you rent and get no equity because you don't have to deal with these issues. He is an OWNER/LANDLORD and this is a cost of operating. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

My opinion only, probably won't change landlords mind but maybe a nice chat and some cookies would.
    Regards,
    Don
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2006, 04:35 AM
    There is no surer way to create problems than to let something set unused for 2 years. Perhaps the landlord is showing the same effect.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2006, 05:50 AM
    The mold on the toilet tells you, (and the landlord) that this has been a ongoing problem long before you came on the scene. If the toilet was allowed to set dry the spud washer that seals the tank from the bowl has lost its capacity to seal causing the leak you see running down the bowl.
    This should be the repaired at the landlords expense. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing Question [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet is not clogged but when flushing it gurgles and will not go down.

Plumbing question [ 1 Answers ]

What is a pee drain on a laundry tub?

Plumbing Schematic Question [ 5 Answers ]

I'm in the process of remodeling our half bath. This bathroom originally had a toilet and vanity. I am planning on adding a neo angle shower and obviously a new toilet and vanity, which will be in different places that they originally were. I have attached a floor plan of our new bathroom and...

Plumbing question [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone tell me if I can tie a new shower drain line.(a second shower) Into an existing kitchen sink drain line? The kitchen sink line runs about 25FT. To the main drain line, the shower line would be about 10ft. From the main The kitchen line is 1 1/2" shower 2" and the main 3" schedule 30 ...

Plumbing question for new shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Looking for some advice on plumbing the drain on a Schluter-Kerdi shower system. I am a pretty confident DIY’er, but almost contracted this out until I found these great web sites! I am replacing an existing 3’x5’ tub with an already purchased Schluter-Kerdi system (which requires the...

View more questions Search