Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmiecx2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2010, 09:11 AM
    How do I transfer my own foreign cash into us
    I sold my home in Canada as my family are now officially residents of the US. I want to bring my money to the US as I have no plan to return to Canada and want to have use of it and invest it here. Can I just transfer it to my bank here? And what are the tax consequences. I've already paid tax on the income to Canada
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 02:24 AM

You can just transfer it to U.S.
    However, a U.S. citizen or resident must report worldwide income on the U.S. tax return. So you may have to report sale of home. You can also take credit for taxes paid in Canada by using From 1116. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on foreign transfer [ 2 Answers ]

A father who is a Dutch citizen wants to transfer $500,000 (or portions of it) to his daughter, who is a resident alien (green card) living in the US, and she's married to a US citizen. 1. Does the daughter (or her US husband) have any tax liability in the US? 2. The receiving US bank will...

Foreign money transfer tax [ 2 Answers ]

My husband (US resident) and I (US citizen) want to transfer $50,000 dollars from our bank in Mexico to our bank account in the US. This money is from a business investment that we made 8 years ago in Mexico and has already been taxed in Mexico. Do we have to pay taxes on it again here in the US?

Cash Transfer from Foreign Country to the US [ 1 Answers ]

All, I am a non-us Citizen with a L1 visa working in the US. In July 2008 I sent from overseas an amount of over $10,000 using a wire transaction (from one of the major US banks). I used the money to buy a house in the US and did not have any revenue from interest. As I was reading some similar...

Foreign money transfer [ 1 Answers ]

I am due to inherit a very large sum of money in England. What laws will I incur when transferring the money to the US?

View more questions Search