Swollen top and bottom lids. Red. Yellow mucous
    birds Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2010, 12:59 AM
    Kittens with eye infection
    Red, swollen top and bottom lids. Light sensitive with yellow mucous
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 01:59 AM

Bring the kitten to the vet and get her/him checked out,it may be an eye infection,or something stuck in the eye.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 9, 2010, 11:49 AM

In the mean time, you can clean the eye with a cotton ball dampened with warm water.

You do need to get the cat to the vet as soon as possible. It could be an easily medicated eye infection, or it could be something more serious. He'll need checked out by a vet to make sure he doesn't lose vision, or the entire eye, on that side.
    AskTheKitty Posts: 24, Reputation: 10

Jun 21, 2010, 01:52 PM

You can get an eye ointment for kittens (called teramycin) at your vet or online.
    It would be best however to take the kitten into the vet so they can give the most accurate diagnosis, since some eye problems can also be signs of distemper.
    echowolf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 12:36 AM

Okay, I had a Kitten with the same problem. I used these three methods and it clears it up immediately but must be continued for between one to two weeks to fully treat it.

1. Take a warm wash cloth and gently wipe off all of the goo in and/or around the eyes and/or nose.

2. Make a mixture of a pinch of Cayenne Pepper, 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 teaspoon of Olive Oil. Mix it well for about 15-20 seconds. Take a Q-tip and dip it into the mixture and put it around his eyes, NOT directly into them! Also drop a drop or two into the kitten's mouth with anoth Q-tip or a dropper(preferrably the dropper). The kitten will have a fit for about 15-20 seconds but his sinuses will drain and it will drain the infection/pus out of his sinuses and eyes. This may seem horrible but it works, and WILL NOT cause any harm to the cat other than temporary discomfort. You can also put apple cider vinegar into his food, and water (just a few drops) and it will also help. Putting the Apple Cider Vineger on his paws will also help so that he can't wipe it completely off.

3. After the kitten calms down After 1-2 minutes take a triple antibiotic ointment and rub it around the eyes, again NOT directly into the eyes.

This will clear it all up immediately, however if you do not continue it twice a day for a least one week it won't clear it up completely. The mixture should last at least a week if it is kept in the fridge. Depending on the size of the kitten you should have enough for 1-2 weeks. Cayenne is really healthy for the eyes and the cardiovascular system, just try not to use too much as you don't want it to cause severe discomfort.
    theresa101 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Jun 22, 2010, 07:46 PM

Not sure where that recipe came from, but swollen membranes and thick discharge from the eye can be as simple as conjuctivitus BUT can also be signs of some pretty serious feline diseases which require blood and culture testing to detect. Not trying to scare any one here but FIV, feline leukemia and feline herpes virus are contagious to other cats and need to be detected so as not to expose house mates to potential illness, just a note-one of the first signs of FIV and feline leuk. Are discharge from the eye, sneezy, general upper respitory symptoms. Better safe than sorry in most cases.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kittens and eye problems [ 2 Answers ]

We had a cat dropped at our barn and she was very pregnant. She had 7 kittens. 5 died fairly quickly and two lived. We moved mom and kittens to home and both kittens had eyes that were caked with mucus and we were told by vet to gently wipe with warm sterile water and keep eye cleared as...

Kittens eye shut [ 6 Answers ]

My first born 2week old kittens eyes r still shut but 1 eye looks sealed with yellow crusty stuff. All the other kittens eyes r open. Any ideas as I don't have vet fees.thank u.

Kittens eye colour [ 2 Answers ]

My two kittens are 10 weeks old. When will their permanent eye colour be established?

My kittens have eye infection(I think) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm Mariam and I need advice badly. My cat, Zuma, has had 3 batches of kittens and they all have the same eye problem. First the kittens will have difficulty opening their eyes. Then they swell and pus-like liquid will be discharged from them. Then the eyes seem to bulge from their sockets and...

Kittens eye [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my 3 week old kitten has a swollen eye And I keep bathing it with warm water but its not helping And I don't know what else to do

View more questions Search