Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AJVANLAERE Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 06:44 PM
    Can someone please help me FAST!
    Ok so tomorrow I am going to the dentist for fillings (bottom) however I can not stand the shot they use to numb my mouth and I'm hreaking out. What can I do before I go to numb my gums some what so the shot doesn't hurt as much. I have been using my nail to push on my gum to prepare myself but it hurts so much. What can I use that will numb my gum to prevent me from freaking out so much. Please help me ASAP
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 06:58 PM
    Hi, AJVANLAERE!

Every time that I've been to the dentist for drilling of any kind and the dentist wants to give me a shot, he'll use something to numb my gum before giving me the shot.

Have you ever previously been to the dentist to get teeth drilled?

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2010, 07:00 PM

Yes I have but I usually get the laughing gas. However the place I'm going to this time doesn't have it. I recently switched dentist and this is the first time that I been here with a cavity. Even though they put something on what could I do to inprove the numbness cause I hate needles! Do you no what they use as well?

Jun 8, 2010, 07:01 PM
    Helpp! Numb my gums before hand?
    Ok so tomorrow I am going to the dentist for fillings (bottom) however I can not stand the shot they use to numb my mouth and I'm hreaking out. What can I do before I go to numb my gums some what so the shot doesn't hurt as much. I have been using my nail to push on my gum to prepare myself but it hurts so much. What can I use that will numb my gum to prevent me from freaking out so much. Please help me ASAP
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 07:02 PM
    Hi again, AJVANLAERE!

Starting multiple threads about the same thing isn't going to get you any different answers. We know that you're uptight, but please stick to one thread.

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2010, 07:11 PM
    Numbing my gums before hand
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 07:11 PM
    I don't know everything that the dentist might use. Like most people, I hate going to the dentist.

However, before I have a shot, I try to have the dentist work without giving me a shot. It's been a successful experience a number of times. If the cavities are really deep, though, I'll get a shot or shots.

Do you know how deep your cavities are, please?
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 07:12 PM
    Please stick to your original thread, AJVANLAERE.

Jun 8, 2010, 07:14 PM

I have a cavity on the side on my top right side of my moler by my gum, I also believe I might have one on my bottom left moler. This is why I booked an appointmetn cause I can't eat without it hurting (|the bottom moler) My top one is not hurting at all its just what they found last time. I believ they said that both my right and left side top moler have a cavity in the same place on both sides. Im freaking out! If it was up to me I never go but I don't want it to get into a root canal
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 07:17 PM
    If we want to save our teeth, we have no choice but to go.

As I've stated already, I hate to go to the dentist.

You know, you don't have to have the shot. What about trying it without the shot to see if you can stand that kind of pain?

I realize that I might get some flack here by suggesting that to you, but a person doesn't always have to get the shot or shots.
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 07:33 PM
    Maybe the drilling will only take a few minutes.

If there does need to be a shot or shots, maybe it or they don't have to be all that deep?

Shots in some areas hurt a lot more than in other areas. I don't think that there is a natural tooth in my mouth that doesn't have a filling in it.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 07:35 PM

The best thing you can do is relax. Talk to the dentist maybe there is a numbing rub they could put on your gums before hand so you do not feel the needle as much.

Just do not panic, worst thing to do. Just talk to the dentist and you will be fine.
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 07:38 PM
    I can remember a few months ago, when I had a large area of cancer removed from my nose. The surgeon operated on me while I was awake.

Of course, I dreaded the shots. After the first couple of them though, my thinking was that, "I can handle this".

If you do get yourself in a panic, it can make things seem a lot worse then they really are.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 07:41 PM
    Tell the dentist about how you hate the numbing shots. He can put on your gums a numbing gel and wait for minute or two. This will numb the gums so you won't feel the needle. It's amazing stuff!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I can remember a few months ago, when I had a large area of cancer removed from my nose. The surgeon operated on me while I was awake.
    Oh, great. Now the OP is going to worry about skin cancer on his nose. Maybe it'll take his mind off his teeth.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper1976 View Post
    The best thing you can do is relax. Talk to the dentist maybe there is a numbing rub they could put on your gums before hand so you do not feel the needle as much.
    I have to spread the rep. I musta been writing and posting when you posted your response. GMTA = great minds think alike

When the hygienist put the numbing gel on my gums before she CLEANED my teeth last time, I nearly fainted!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 08:08 PM

I don't know about gel, but my dentist applies it with a swab. Who knows what it is.

I do have a few suggestions for you:

1) Start now. Open your mouth wide periodically (As wide as you can) which will make it easier to do so the day of the appointment.

2) Ask the dentist to numb the gum topically first.

3) Take an MP3 player or radio with a unobtrusive headset with you. The dentist may also have one stuck in the drawer somewhere.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2010, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AJVANLAERE View Post
    Ok so tomorrow I am going to the dentist for fillings (bottom) however I can not stand the shot they use to numb my mouth and im hreaking out. What can i do before i go to numb my gums some what so the shot doesn't hurt as much. I have been using my nail to push on my gum to prepare myself but it hurts so much. What can i use that will numb my gum to prevent me from freaking out so much. Please help me ASAP
    I don't know where you are in the world,but there are treatments, over the counter treatments for sore gums,tooth ache pains,etc.

Go to the pharmacy and look for Anbusol(sp),or maybe use a clove on the area that is going to be treated, I have also used cayenne pepper pieces, just on the gums,it really does work.
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 09:27 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Oh, great. Now the OP is going to worry about skin cancer on his nose. Maybe it'll take his mind off his teeth.
    If a person really, really stretches their imagination, I suppose that connecting the skin cancer to the teeth area might be a concern.

My point was about the shots, though...

Although, the nose and the teeth are awfully close to each other... :eek: ;)
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 12:15 AM

There are a few things dentists can do to make the injection more comfortable. First, ask the dentist to apply topical anaesthetic to the area he in going to inject (this will numb the gum so you won't feel the prick of the needle). Second, the dentist should warm the carpules of anaesthetic so the solution he is injecting is body temperature and third he should inject slowly allowing the gum to freeze as he goes. Many dentists just ram the needle in and shoot which causes pressure as the solution goes in.

Explain your concerns to your dentist and he/she should do everything possible to make your experience as pain free as possible. If he/she doesn't then find another dentist!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How fast is too fast to fall in love? [ 5 Answers ]

Met what I thought to be my soul mate 3 years ago. It was love at first site. However, our business relationship prohibited us from dating for a few years. We would see each other on occasion at company functions and spend time with each other in person or communicate via email or phone. We had...

How Fast Is To Fast in A Relationship? [ 4 Answers ]

I just met this girl about 1-2 weeks ago. On the16 we started going out. But I don't know what to do and if I do something I am afraid it is to fast. What should I do? How should I do it? When should I do it Help. I'm lost!! -wes

I eat sandwiches daily thinking it's not fast food, IS IT fast food and is it bad me? [ 6 Answers ]

Lunch is almost always homemade Ham/Turkey and cheese with lettuce, onions, etc sandwiches. The bread I use is the simple sliced sandwich bread(Sara Lee or other). Is it that bad?? I'm 30 and I do plenty of exercise and eat overall healthy

Get off to fast [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I been with my girl for almost five years now and its great but things are not the best I bed I get off to fast like 20 to 30sec I try to get hard again but no go for hours then boom I get off just as fast we try to go slow like kiss touch but it makes it worse then I tried to just going at it...

Need help fast [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone please tell me how I go about taking a loan against my 401k

View more questions Search