Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 10:04 AM
    Debt collection agency.
    I know somebody that last year they got a notice in the mail saying that they are collecting for Capital one. That the debt was over 10,000 dollars but this person never once had an account with capital one.

Apparently this account was from 2002. They also said in the letter if it is paid now they will knock off 25 percent of the debt.

The letter was brought into the police station. They thought it was legit to contact capital one and find out what is going on. They could not find such an account on the file.

It was back and forth and back and forth between these so called collection agencies and capital one.

They kept asking for account numbers , etc... so many letters back and forth. About the Credit file record. They said that they need more info.

There has been no resolution and the second letter they sent out offered a 50 percent reduction in payment.

Also there is a discrepancy between the amount on the credit file and what they are trying to collect. The collection agency was really rude and nasty about it. They said call capital one because that is who they are collecting it for, mean while capital one does not think the account exists, but yet it is being reported to the credit report.

The police will not do anything until we contact capital one and get a list of charges from them which this person is unable to get.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 10:12 AM

If your question is what to do next (and I think that's the question) I would WRITE Capital One, copy to the collection agency (and Attorney, if there is one), DEMANDING written proof and confirmation of the debt AND amount - I would notify both (in the letter) that you are referring this to your State's Attorney General as an unfair collection practice. That gets a LOT of attention in NY. Send the letters return receipt requested. In NY this is not a Police matter.

(When I say you I mean your friend, of course.)

I had a very similar problem with CapOne after my divorce some years ago - debt showed on my credit report but I never had an account with CapOne. Played back and forth until State Attorney General stepped in. It got corrected in the snap of fingers and I never heard from them again.

Just out of curiousity, what State? I just received a list of collection agencies that are less than honest (in my business email).
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 10:21 AM

It is actually Canada, The province of Ontario.
    The collection agency letter came out of the blue. Never had any statements from Capital one, to know that there was ever a account that existed. It just seemed like a major scam to me when I found out about it.
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 10:33 AM

Also, there were letters written back and forth between that person and capital one.

The only response is they requested more info about the account in question. Give us the account number.

That person had no account number because person never had an account with them. To top it off, we sent the letters from the collection agency to capital one with all our letters.

No response.

To add, I think it should be a police matter. Because it amounts to fraud. Especially if this account was opened up in this persons name without this persons knowledge.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 10:42 AM
    This person needs to request a copy of the ORIGINAL contract between whoever opened the account and CapOne.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 11:06 AM

J9 is right - demand documentation and history on the account. In my area the Police are most reluctant to get involved in consumer fraud.

Hopefully someone in Canada will come by with other advice - but I would still send the return receipt letters.

This covers what is not allowed in Canada - but I have not read it and am not familiar with the contents. Prohibited Collection Practices In Canada
    Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 11:08 AM
    Dang, I had a copy of the letter to send too. Don't know if I can find it, but I know who to PM about it. ;)
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 12:17 PM

I appreciate every bodies answers here. It defiantly helps. The thing is every time this person gets in touch through letter or phone they say that the account is not on file or does not exist.

Maybe just sending all the information that that person has so far. Like all the letters between the collection agencies and the Capital one and the letters that were sent.

Send all the copies and letters to both Credit bureau agencies and maybe they can investigate and get some where with it. Possibly even remove it from the credit file if they realize that it is fraud... Maybe in the letter also request that they get the original contract from capital one if they are ever able to find proof that the account ever existed in the first place.
    Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Hopefully I'll be able to get the official demand letter here for you soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency calls even though no debt [ 4 Answers ]

I do not have any debt, yet I am getting daily calls from a company called NCL. It appears to be a sleazy company and I don't even want to give them the satisfaction of acknowlege-ing them. Can I get them to stop without me doing a lot of work, i.e. letters, etc? They are the ones in the wrong....

Being SUED by TWO collection agency for same CC debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Can I be sued by 2 collection agencys for the same old debt. Which was received 10/2007 I am currently in court with one, answered Summons last week. Then I had another collection agency refereing to their client as Discover say that they entered a judgement on me 09/06. I have no...

Collection agency collecting an old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I filed bankruptcy 3 yrs ago and paid on it until we had some hard times and it ended up getting dismissed. I was able to get a loan through a family member and paid off most of the debts that were owed. I called one of the collection companies to settle a debt and they told me they had no record...

Settling debt with a Collection Agency [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the thing. I've only been working for 1 year after not having a job for almost 2 years. Obviously I wasn't able to make the monthly payments on my credit cards. I told the girl that on what I make a week, I could not possibly pay the 200-300 dollars a month that the creditor wanted. They...

View more questions Search