Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrSalem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2010, 10:52 PM
    Can I take advantage of tax exemption through treaties twice ?
    As an Egyptian I was in the US from 1997 to 2002 as a research scholar on the F-1 visa (to do my PhD) and took advantage of the tax treaty with Egypt.
    I am now German, and work in the US as a researcher since one month (for the public sector) under a J-1 visa. Can I take advantage of the US-Germany tax treaty for the first two years of this stay in the US ?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 04:58 AM

As per publication 519. U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens, page 6, col. 3; Teachers or Trainee.
    "You are not an exempt individual as a teacher or trainee if you were exempt as a teacher, trainee or student for any part of 2 years of the 6 proceeding calender year."
    Thus on J-1 you are exempt from residency.

You are also resident of Egypt before coming to the U.S.
    You should be able to get the treaty benefit on J-1.
    Still you should get comments from AtlantaTaxExpert [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Treaties & 1099-MISC [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a British researcher hoping to use the UK-US tax treaty (article 20A) to reclaim taxes paid in 2009. However, I received a form 1099-MISC rather than the expected 1042S from my former employer. I believe I transitioned from a non-resident alien to a resident alien in the final months...

Tax treaties with india and usa [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to sell an apartment in India which I bought 25 years ago, for helping my Mother in law .I bought this property with NRI account and now It has apppreciated a lot and I am trying to find out about how to benefit from Double taxation based on tax treaty between USA and India, since I...

Does nj and ny accept tax treaties same as federal? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a J-1 alien resident for tax purposes living in NJ and working in NY. In 2008 my wages came mostly from NJ (living in NJ) and part from NY (living still in NJ). My country has a tax treaty with US that allows to deduct part of wage income (5,000$) up to 2 years from federal taxes. My...

Is Tax Treaties useful to F-1 Student, India [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a Indian f-1 student in usa since AUG 2005. I am still on CPT. Each year I have filed 1040NR form for Federal Tax. But neither understand nor get benifites of this US TAX Treaties. I know India-USA has Unlimited Tax treatis for student , but is this applies to any sallary paid by US...

US tax treaties for H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Experts, I have been working in NY for a year under an H1B: I am thus a resident alien for taxes purposes. I am French, can I claim any deduction from the France/US tax treaty? Thanks for your help, E.

View more questions Search