Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    music0621 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 01:36 PM
    My puppy eating
    12/9/06 adopted a lab/hound mix 8 weeks puppy. Came home was eating and drinking fine, but today she is not eating. She seems to be playful and is doing her duties but is not eating.
    Is this something I should be worried about? Your answer is much appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 02:28 PM
    I would let it go a day or 2 and see. Especially if it is a typical overfed, butter ball puppy. Labs usually, but not always, are very eager eaters. What I remember of hounds, they are too. You should be feeding it a half cup of food each of 3 times a day. To judge its weight and how much you should be feeding it, see http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx

If it doesn't pick up on its eating in a day or 2, better check with the vet. Take any records you have and a stool sample. If it has been a couple of weeks since its last round of shots, the vet may want to give it a combo.

If you haven't checked the stickies at the top of the dog forum, do so. They include the answer to many common problems with a new puppy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

4 month old puppy not eating much [ 4 Answers ]

Our puppy is a 4 month old Rottweiler/Lab mix. She does not seem to like eating that much and sleeps a lot. Seems lethargic last couple of days and has had diarrhea. Should this be a concern? She has a vet appt. next week.

New Puppy Barely Eating.. Please Help! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Jason and yesterday my fiancé and myself picked up a small puppy. He has just been separated from her breed (brothers, sisters, mom and dad) and he has been barely touching her food. I am hand feeding the food to him so he can eat a little. Hes lucky if he eats 7-8 pieces.. I...

Puppy eating his own poop [ 21 Answers ]

I have an 8 month old black lab who eats his own poop and I cannot figure out why. Does anyone know why puppies do this? I try to keep him away from it but he is so quick sometimes! Is there something he is lacking in his diet? Thanks for the help.

8 week old puppy not eating but drinking [ 1 Answers ]

I just brought home an 8 week old Scottish Terrier puppy from a very loving breeder. I'm not sure if he's just too young or what's going on. He ate the first night I brought him home and now he hasn't eaten in the past two days. He drinks plenty of water and is piddling but short of force...

:( Dog/Puppy not eating [ 1 Answers ]

I received a dog/puppy from a person who wasn't taking very good care of here, She refuses to eat dry food, she will only eat fresh meat or canned meat chunks, I've been feeding her porkribs with her dry food, but it's not working so well. Do you know how I can get her to eat dry food?

View more questions Search