Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dhruvakathuria Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2010, 10:03 AM
    Cannot access internet
    Hi,I have windows xp sp2,hp laptop,whenever I try to connect the internet using lan cable,my computer is unable to register on d net,the output of ipconfig/all is

[-] mapping_data_source::init error: file not found
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ipconfig/all
    [-] mapping_data_source::init error: file not found

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name.. . : hp-1f8e8a867d81
    Primary Dns Suffix.. . :
    Node Type.. . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled.. . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled.. . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description.. . : Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet
    Physical Address.. . : 00-1F-29-95-3A-09
    Dhcp Enabled.. . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled.. . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address.. . : 169.254.65.40
    Subnet Mask.. . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway.. . : 169.254.65.40

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>

Help...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 10:09 AM
    You have no DNS server specified, that would help, but I see you have a default gateway set. How do you connect to the internet?
    jkraw90 Posts: 52, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2010, 10:43 AM

The DNS missing could be a router error as he is using DHCP. It could also be a error from the ISP sending the information. Try a router/modem full reset. Try manually configuring your DNS to use OpenDNS (google it) and see if that helps. If it does we will know it's a DNS problem, if it doesn't then the missing DNS is only a symptom.
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 10:47 AM
    DHCP is always enabled unless he sets a static IP. I'm waiting to see if this is a home router setup or a corporate LAN. The DNS could indeed be pushed by the ISP but a home router would want the settings entering in its config.
    jkraw90 Posts: 52, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2010, 02:47 PM
    Don't get me wrong I wasn't questioning you or your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    DHCP is always enabled unless he sets a static IP. I'm waiting to see if this is a home router setup or a corporate LAN. The DNS could indeed be pushed by the ISP but a home router would want the settings entering in its config.
    Not always. My last and current home router (netgear & Belkin) didn't require any user intervention they were simple plugin and they pulled everything from the modem automatically (cable connection with separate modem and router).

95% of corporate systems have cmd blocked anyway so he wouldn't be able to run the ipconfig command. And even if they did allow that to be run he should be contacting their tech support who have system access the solve the issue.
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jkraw90 View Post
    not always. my last and current home router (netgear & Belkin) didn't require any user intervention they were simple plugin and they pulled everything from the modem automatically (cable connection with seperate modem and router).
    Ah I see. Our cableco does the same thing as yours. I have DSL through telco and we have to set up the router.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 01:24 AM

The 169.254 is the key here. Basically there is no connection because no DHCP server is responding, therefore Windows is making an IP address up in the above range.

First make sure you have link lights. Could be a bad cable. You would get the same result if you had no cable connected.

Ipconfig /renew

Will renew an IP address
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2010, 09:40 AM

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any Software or Hardware that you installed or setup.
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 10:03 AM
    Why do I get that feeling that the OP will never return to his thread?

Jun 8, 2010, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any Software or Hardware that you installed or setup.

I uninstalled hp credentials manager,though installed it later,I also installed comodo firewall

Jun 8, 2010, 11:01 AM
    Is is a home router,and I have tried it on another router as well,no success
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 11:01 AM
    Is this a work computer or your personal home computer?
    Also, how do you connect to the internet? What service do you use?

Jun 8, 2010, 11:03 AM

Personal
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 11:04 AM
    Do you have a DSL modem and a router or one unit that does both duties?

Jun 8, 2010, 11:05 AM
    You have no DNS server specified, that would help, but I see you have a default gateway set. How do you connect to the internet?
    I onnecting to the net using the same router but on my brothers laptop

Jun 8, 2010, 11:07 AM
    Do you have a DSL modem and a router or one unit that does both duties?

Well,I have just one unit,on the back side it is written adsl2+router
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 11:10 AM
    The HP Credentials program is typically a corporate program, I'm pretty sure you don't need it. You can also uninstall the software firewall for testing purposes since the router provides hardware firewall duties.

Then try resetting the modem and see if it doles out IPs and that your computer picks one up.

Jun 8, 2010, 11:12 AM
    The HP Credentials program is typically a corporate program, I'm pretty sure you don't need it. You can also uninstall the software firewall for testing purposes since the router provides hardware firewall duties.

Then try resetting the modem and see if it doles out IPs and that your computer picks one up.
    Do I uninstall the comodo firewall as well
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 11:17 AM
    Sure, it's not really necessary.

Jun 10, 2010, 08:58 AM

Well I unistalled both hp tools and comodo and internet is working again,thanks a lot dude for the pain and effort

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot access to internet but the internet connection is good [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a problem, and I have no clue about it. I have a wireless internet connection and I don't know what happened but I can not access to the internet. The wireless connection is fine, there is the green icon saying that the signal is perfect, but when I open the internet...

Cannot get internet access [ 2 Answers ]

I have set up a wireless connection on my laptop,but am unable to get a internet connection through my AOL or internet explorer in my home,however can access the internet through internet explorer on the laptop in my place of work.

Internet Access [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys. Am in charge of maintaining the internet connection and access in our company. But am facing a challenge of how to permit and deny internet access to the rest of the staff. 1. Is there a way of doing this? 2. Which type of software do I need? I use the Dynamic IP addresiing... That...

Internet access [ 9 Answers ]

Hi AOL v9 using xp does not install files to connect to service when requested No AOL browser visible Ta Norm

Internet access [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small network of 8 computers running Windows XP home edition and connected to the internet using my telephone company's DSL service. Each computer has an individual's e-mail account using Outlook Express so I need internet connection for this function. What I want to do is prevent certain...

View more questions Search