Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lanwanman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2010, 03:58 PM
    I need a wiring diagram for a Scotts lawn tractor model s1642
    I own a Scotts lawn tractor model 1642 that won't start (turn over). The battery is good and I've replaced the solenoid. I believe its one of the many safety interlocks that's the cause.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:04 PM

Have you tried jumping it at the soleniod to see if the starter turns?
    I_do_it_myself Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2011, 03:51 PM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    Califdadof3,

I have the same problem (1 year later) on my Scotts S1642. Yes, it starts & runs after jumping solonoid (bypassing all safeties). I think it's the ignition switch, but to be sure, I need the wire diagram so I can hot wire test it before the ignition switch. If it cranks, I know I have a bad ignition switch, if not I can eliminate the ignition switch as the source of the problem & look at other safety switches (clutch/brake, PTO, etc.). When looking at the switch's male plug ends, the wires are colored as follows:

Yellow wire --> ── ── <-- Black wire
    White wire --> ── ── <-- Red wire
    Purple & w/White stripe --> ──

What two colored wires need to complete a circuit to engage the starter crank (assuming the key is in the run position)?

Thank you.

Jun 5, 2011, 04:02 PM
    See attached pictures for reference. I'm not sure what the letters represent on the plud diagram.
    Attached Images

Internet Research Expert

Jun 5, 2011, 04:28 PM

Can't seem to find anything free on the web at this time. The manual for it is TM1776. You might be able to get one from your JD dealer they seem to be going for $25.00

That is the full service manual. Covers everything.
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 5, 2011, 04:33 PM

Should be:

G- ground
    B-Battery
    S-Starter
    M-Motor (ignition)
    L-Lights.

You can double check that with an ohm meter. Start should only be in 1 position. (between battery and "S" )
    Ground shouldn't connect to any other posts, Lights and ignition and battery should tie together when in the "on" position.

Jun 6, 2011, 04:03 PM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    Califdadof3,

Thanks for the swift reply.

I believe now that I have identified the source of the problem. With all my safeties disengaged (Blades disengaged, clutch/brake engaged, myself seated on tractor seat), I tried the following: With the ignition switch unmounted from the plastic switch housing (giving me access to the ignition switch connector) I slightly unplugged the ignition switch from the wire harness so that all the connections remained intact, but enough so that I could make a short between the "B" & "S" plug posts with a flat head screw driver. I then placed the ignition switch in the "RUN" position and made the short between "B" & "S" posts. VOILÀ! The engine cranked right over with more gusto than it had in recent history up to the point it stopped doing so altogether. It's safe to say now that my ignition switch is shot. Now I just need to find one online.

Thanks again for your help.
    Googs1080 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2011, 07:07 PM
    I have an ignition problem now as well on my S1642. Turning the ignition switch to on didn't even produce a clicking sound. So I jumped the solenoid and the starter turned the engine over but no ignition. Would this be some safety switch causing there to be no ignition and the starter not engaging? How do I find the clutch safety switch? (is there one) and the blade safety switch?
    whitew Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2013, 01:53 PM
    /Users/dalewhiteley/Desktop/Kohler six page Mower Manual
    Used this schematic tester to repair my s1642.
    Dale

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scotts Lawn Tractor (mfg by John Deere) Model L1742 schematic [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a wiring diagram (schmatic) for a Scotts Lawn Tractor Model L1742. The unit will not start and appears to have a sefety switch open. The battery is good and I have checked all items suggested by owner's manual. If I can come up with a schematic I can possibly troubleshoot and...

Scotts S1642 by John Deere Drive Belt Diagram [ 3 Answers ]

1. Looking for a Scotts S1642 by John Deere Drive Belt Diagram. Owners manual only has a diagram for the deck/mower belt. The diagram on the John Deere web site has four pulleys but mower has five. Any help would be appreciated.

Parts for a s1642 scott lawn tractor [ 2 Answers ]

s1642 scott lawn tractor I'm about ready to screamneed help. The mower only starts when it wants to. I checked th 15 amp fuse it is good thought it was battery had it checked out battery was good .I came home from getting bttery checked out and put battery in mower though I would give it a try it...

Scotts lawn tractor s1642 [ 1 Answers ]

My scotts tractor s1642 blew the drive belt. There is no information in the owners manuel on how to replace this belt, only how to replace the mower belt. HELP PLEASE.

WANTED: wiring diagram for craftsman lawn tractor [ 2 Answers ]

I am new to this site and would like any help possible. I have a mid 1990's riding lawn mower. The fist part of the vin. Number is 917. I am restoring to factory and have replaced the ignition switch back to factory but have no clue where any of the wires go? I am looking for a wiring diagram if...

View more questions Search