Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharon_johnso46 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2010, 03:53 PM
    Are documents separate from Word?
    Are documents on a computer separate from a software program like Word? I want to work in Word but plan to switch from an older version to a newer version of Word. Will the conversion change anything on my documents?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 03:57 PM

A lot depends on what versions your moving from and to. If you use the newer version it may not work on the older version unless you save the document to be compatible. The older one should be able to be read by the newer version without any problems.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 6, 2010, 03:59 PM

Data files are ALWAYS separate from the program that creates them. Word is backwards compatible with files created in older types. If you want to be sure you can use use the files with any version of Word save then as 97-2003 DOC files.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I translate documents on Microsoft word [ 3 Answers ]

How do I translate documents on Microsoft word? So today I was opening word to resume working on my paper. I noticed a newn document that was titled "Tiff hi". I didn't write this document so I opened it. It was all in a MS reference 1. I couldn't change it to any other font and I would like to...

Scanning documents/pic into word [ 1 Answers ]

After scanning documents and pictures into (Imaging) or on Desk Top and especially into Word how can I type descriptions/info about the documents and pics. Page Maker has a wrap around feature, but I do not need a great deal of columns to deal with. I really need the Word program for my project....

I want to turn word documents into a book [ 1 Answers ]

How can I turn multiple .doc (word files) into a book? I am trying to turn multiple word documents with different themes, pictures and background etc... into one book. When I have tried to compile them, I keep losing themes from individual files. This is not for a professional project or...

Word documents locked for edit - HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

I have Windows ME and Microsoft word. I have all my word documents from school arranged in folders based on each semester. Today, I opened up a 12 page paper for editing and I cannot do a single thing to this document. Each time I try, I get the following message "The command is not available...

View more questions Search