Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 03:49 PM
    Keeps just shutting down
    Hi there,

My laptop just keeps shutting down at random times. It's a Dell Vostro 1000. What could be the problem?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 03:51 PM

Random could mean that its something your not noticing. Like setting it in your lap of on a soft surface and blocking the holes for cooling. If they overheat they will shut down. Then return to normal once they have cooled. Does it feel hot when this happens?
    Vision Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 03:52 PM

Nope, it's sitting on my lap... My knees are spread so that the bottom can breathe...
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 03:54 PM

With the change in weather it still could be overheating. You might want to drop by a local store that seels office supplies and take a look there for laptop pads. Another thing is how is your disk space on it? Is it getting full? When is the last time you ran "defrag" ?
    Vision Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 03:57 PM

It's not that full. I did it 3 days ago. The weather is always changing here, I'm not sure what that has to do with it. It's pouring outside right now.
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 03:59 PM

Sometimes there is a connection between the 2. Like humidity etc. Other causes can be bad sectoring on a hard drive and also bad memory ( not yours the one in the machine ) :)
    Vision Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:03 PM

Yeah, it's an old laptop... and slow... I wish someone would just come over and make it like new.
    <LOL>
    My USB ports don't work and neither do the buttons for my built in mouse... So there's no right clicking on anything either.
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    Yeah, it's an old laptop....and slow....I wish someone would just come over and make it like new.
    <LOL>
    My USB ports don't work and neither do the buttons for my built in mouse....So there's no right clicking on anything either.
    You could always consider a docking station if you can find one. Then you can use fullsize keyboard and reguler mouse. Also if its old then it may also require a good cleaning on the inside. Its amazing what they can gather through the years. Wait till close to end of August and beginning of September because most laptops go on sale then. Also depending on the state you live in some have a sales tax freedom day and it inclludes laptops and that can save a chunk too.
    Vision Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:13 PM

What's a docking station? Does that involve USB usage? How would I go about cleaning out the inside? I have four USB ports and none are working. It's weird though cause I have a mouse that has a light that lights up when its plugged in. When I plug it in the light comes on but the mouse doesn't work. I've check the mouse on other computers and it works fine and I've checked other devices on this computer and they don't work. What could that mean?
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:17 PM

It sounds like you have issues either with the usb controller or the driver for it. Have you looked in the "control panel" under "devices" and checked to see if any yellow flags are in it? Also go there to update to the latest drivers for your unit. The light at the port indicates "power" is at that port. Your problem is "communication" at the ports.
    Vision Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:20 PM

I went to control panel and didn't see devices..
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:22 PM

You should see "device manager" in the control panel section.
    Vision Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:25 PM

Nope..
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:27 PM

What Operating system are you using?
    Vision Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:28 PM

Windows XP.
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:33 PM

If your not seeing it in control panel try this:

XP Device Manager - How to Access Device Manager From the Computer Management Utility in Windows XP
    Vision Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:43 PM

OK, I found it.. now what do I do?
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:46 PM

There should be a section heading that says "universal serial bus controlers" with a plus sign next to it. Is there a yellow falg there? If not click the plus sign and then you should get a list. Any yellow flags there?
    Vision Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:47 PM

Nope, no yellow flags.
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 04:50 PM

Are there listings for "generic" usb hub or for "USB root hub" ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My TV kept shutting itself off [ 3 Answers ]

My sony tritro xbr television kept shutting itself off. After a few minutes I could turn it back on again. Now it won't turn on at all.

It always shutting off... Help! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there this is not really about software, but its about computer hope someone can help me... My prob is my monitor so many times that it always automatically shutting off or should I say blacking out... just like when you turn off your PC but the mine is I didn't shut off my PC but my monitor...

Shutting Down [ 2 Answers ]

My Competer keeps shutting down when I am in the middle of doing something and when it restarts it tell me that the computer has recovered from a serious error I was just wondering what the reason for this could be and if there is anyway of stopping it

A/c not shutting off [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 and even when I turn the a/c to the off position, it still continues to operate. What could cause this?

AC not shutting off outside [ 1 Answers ]

My ac cools the house great but is not turning off outside any ideas what is wrong?

View more questions Search