Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 01:02 PM
    The 66th Anniversary of D-Day
    My father was fifteen years old when he joined the Army. He landed on the beaches of Normandy when he was a teenager. Today , I take this time to honor him and the many, many brave soldiers who are no longer with us and all the WWII veterans who are still with us. I was born quite a few years after WWII and I would like to share this article with you.
    Ernie Pyle was a war correspondent who was right there during some of the worst battles of the war. I quote from his writings about D-Day.

]"The strong, swirling tides of the Normandy coastline shift the contours of of the sandy beaches as they move in and out."
    "They carry soldiers' bodies out sea and they later return them. They cover the corpses of heroes with sand, and then in their whims they uncover them. As I plowed out over the wet sands of the beach that first day ashore,I walked around what seemed to be two pieces of driftwood sticking out of the sand..but it wasn't driftwood. They were a soldiers two feet. He was completely covered by the shifting sands except for his GI boots pointed toward the land he had come so far to see, and which he saw so briefly"

Ernie Pyle has written articles about WWII.. but this was so moving I wanted to share.
    My Dad came back from the war crippled and still held down a job, sometimes more than one to support
    His family. He is now with the Lord

All of us who see or know a veteran of WWI and WWII.. thank him. If there are Vietnam vets or Gulf War.Korean War, Persian Gulf and the Iraqi and Afghanistan war going on right now... Thank them... I'm glad to be the daughter of the parents of the greatest generation.:) I'm proud to be the mom of an American Soldier.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 01:22 PM

Yes, kitty, we in Canada lost many many young men at Normandy. I read an article in theToronto Star today that said the landing site at Normandy was slowly eroding and the german bunker is slowly sinking down the slope; they had to shore it up. The sea is taking that too.

We always remember this day, my father in law was a vet of WW1. We haven't got many of them left in Canada now.

Hugs
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    yes, kitty, we in Canada lost many many young men at Normandy. I read an article in theToronto Star today that said the landing site at Normandy was slowly eroding and the german bunker is slowly sinking down the slope; they had to shore it up. The sea is taking that too.

We always remember this day, my father in law was a vet of WW1. We havent got many of them left in Canada now.

hugs
    It's so sad to imagine... Thank you tickle:)
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2010, 03:37 PM

Probably the most emotional site I have personally ever seen is the American cemetery on the slopes of Normandy beach. Seeing more than 8000 grave markers of the brave young men who gave all to preserver freedom for us all is a must see for every American. It gives a whole new prospective to the meaning of sacrifice and what it means to live in a free country.
    Too bad people today do not understand how much true freedom costs.
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Probably the most emotional site I have personally ever seen is the American cemetery on the slopes of Normandy beach. Seeing more than 8000 grave markers of the brave young men who gave all to preserver freedom for us all is a must see for every American. It gives a whole new prospective to the meaning of sacrifice and what it means to live in a free country.
    Too bad people today do not understand how much true freedom costs.
    Thank you for this. I've always wanted to visit France and see that. Thank you for posting it means so much to me and the families of the ones who gave the ultimate sacrifice. I'll bet your visit was emotional.:)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 05:38 PM

My Grandad walked the Appenines before Normandy. I got to play in the Northern Andes. Marines sometimes go up as well as onto the beach. Remember the fallen.
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    My Grandad walked the Appenines before Normandy. I got to play in the Northern Andes. Marines sometimes go up as well as onto the beach. Remember the fallen.
    Cats.. thank you for responding... I'll bet the Andes is a beautiful place. I just wanted to honor them. Thanks:)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 08:02 PM

Hello:

Ooooorahhh.

excon
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

Ooooorahhh.

excon
    Thanks Exy... I wanted to honor my Dad and all the others who served and the ones who died and are still dying... Kit
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 10:08 PM

Hear the quietness of those souls who gave all.
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Hear the quietness of those souls who gave all.

Thank you for your response... for honoring those Heroes!:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depression +Valentine Day + ANNIVERSARY= Break/up [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I don't know where to start. I going through a big depression ,And my boyfriend is like a friend who tries to be there for me all the time. And my biggest issue in my life and he said he loved me, now I feel like I really reach a deep depression and on our 2 month being together ANNIVERSARY...

Anniversary, 43 down starting 44 [ 8 Answers ]

Well, we celebrated number 43 last night. Marriage can be and is fun!

Had Miscarriage 7/4, Our Anniversary [ 1 Answers ]

Well, the inevitable happened on the 4th of July... our 3rd anniversary. Not exactly the kind of present I wanted to give or get. But at least everything went OK. We were in and out of the er in about 3 hrs. I think that was a record! I am supposed to go see my obgyn sometime next week. Yes, the...

First anniversary [ 3 Answers ]

My one year anniversary is coming up this weekend. I am seven months pregnant (and it was a big shock to us since it was unplanned). Due to the upcoming baby and finances we have decided to stay in town for our anniversary. However, I would still like the weekend to be special. Any ideas on how to...

50th anniversary [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with ideas for a funny saying or something different or cute for the tee shirts and caps I am making up for 20 people. Thank you if you can think of something.

View more questions Search