Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cecelia87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2010, 07:29 AM
    30 weeks pregnant with Vasa Previa, Dr. not concerned
    I was diagnosed with Placenta Previa at 20 weeks but at my 29 weeks ultrasound last week I was told it had corrected itself but "just barely" and was now just a low lying placenta. He also saw the baby was breach and stated that the umbilical cord was near my cervix which meant I had Vasa Previa. I'm not on any restrictions, he said not to be concerned with my placenta previa anymore, and he simply said if I go into labor it will be a "chinese fire drill" and they'll have to do a c-section right away. Was I misdiagnosed or did he refer to the umbilical cord being under the baby as a simple way to explain it to me? He said it will fix itself and to not worry about it. Everything I've read tells me it's extremely serious and has to do with vessels not just the placement of the cord. I feel like he's brushing it off which makes me think he misdiagnosed me, isn't telling me the real facts, or doesn't know how serious it is. I go for another ultrasound in two weeks
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 07:59 AM

Do you know if this is true vasa previa or just the cord itself low lying? If true vasa previa, my opinion is that he is taking a great risk by allowing you to go into spontanious labor. If the cord itself is low lying, this very well can move just as the placenta can.

Did he say whether another scan will be done in a few weeks time? I would push for one to check both cord and placenta placement at that time.
    Cecelia87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2010, 08:18 AM

He said it was vasa previa and told me they'd be keeping an eye on it and that he'd written it in multiple spots on my chart so that they check for it at my follow up ultrasound in 2 weeks.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 08:38 AM

When you see him for your next visit, I'd ask him about concerns of membranes rupturing as your onset of labor or the possibility of some cervical effacement and dilation occurring prior to labor. Both of these would be cause for concern and there would be no way to know whether either might take place.
    ambjuju Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2010, 11:03 PM

Your doctors attitude is not acceptable. It sounds like he diagnosed you correctly but his concern for the condition is not where it should be. The concerns is not just labor, it is also the fact that most women dilate some before going into labor, if this happens and your water broke the cord could prolapse and this would cut off the blood and oxygen supply to your baby, possibly ending in death. Were talking a matter of minutes where the brain will remain undamaged without oxygen. I think frequent ultrasounds and cervical exams to check for dilation should be done. I also think that you should either express your concerns and see what your ob is willing to do and/or get a second opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Previa knock sensor drop engine 97 Previa AWD LE/SC [ 0 Answers ]

Hi: I have a 97 Toyota Previa -AWD- LE/SC with 193,000 miles. LOVE the Car. ** Previa began to run rough in the morning and cold starts. (also, gas mileage dropped from 20 to 14mpg (-thought it might be worsened by new tires). ** Over next week’s it became progressively worse. ** Had a...

26 weeks, 3 weeks behind in growth, dr's concerned. [ 7 Answers ]

My baby is now 26 weeks, but measures 23, the Dr.'s are very concerned and have brought up the possibility of having a skeletal disorder(dwarf) because she is behind on growth, we did an amnio and also blood tests which all came back fine. They have also not found any other abnormalities. Is this...

Almost 6 weeks and concerned. [ 13 Answers ]

Hello I am almost 6 weeks pregnant.. and for the past 2 days I have been bleeding like it was heavy last night but got better and now it is very light.. like I don't even really c anything when I wipe... I had mild cramps on and off.. but not really anymore.. could this be a problem I have my...

Concerned I might be pregnant. [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I went off the birth control pill a little over two months ago. I had my period last month normal, although it was 7 days late. Almost two weeks ago I had light spotting - I noticed that I was bleeding before I went to bed, and thought it was the start of my period, like normal. I woke up the...

I've had my period for 3 weeks, should I be concerned? [ 1 Answers ]

I had a baby about 2 and a half months ago. I got my first period on November 25 and I still have it. Its been 3 weeks could I be pregnant or is this normal after a baby.

View more questions Search