Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KCDave Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Dec 10, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Max pipe size in load bearing walls
    I have a 2" line stubbed for a drain in an area of a 15' basement that will be framed 8' high with the rest used for storage above. Are these walls now considered load bearing? What's the maximum size pipe I can run through a load bearing 2x4 wall assuming I'm using a protective plate.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2006, 08:30 AM
    I wouldn't think these can be called "load bearing" but I'm not a architect.
    Most load bearing walls I have seen are at least 2 X 6 or concrete block.
    A 2 X 4 wall measures 3 1/2" I have snuck a 3" stack, (3 1/4" OD.) through non load bearing walls on occasion but it's a tight fit and ya better be "bang on". I'm going to kick this over to experts who are more knowledgeable about building construction then I am. Regards, Tom
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 10, 2006, 09:05 AM
    Any stud in an exterior wall or bearing partition may be cut or notched to a depth not exceeding 25% of its width. Studs in nonbearing partitions may be notched to a depth not to exceed 40% of a single stud width. Any stud may be bored or drilled, provided that the diameter of the resulting hole is no greater than 40% of the stud width, the edge of the hole is no closer than 5/8" to the edge of that stud, and the hole is not located in the same section as a cut or a notch.
    Exceptions: A stud may be bored to a diameter not exceeding 60% of its width, provided that such studs located in exterior walls or bearing partitions are doubled and that not more than 2 successive studs are bored. R602.6(2)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Load bearing wall [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 floor house that the 2nd flr is sagging. I have opened the ceiling under the sag and there's 3 2x8 nailed together as a header.my question the 2x8 header is appx 13 feet long is this to long for this size header or do I have another problem?

Load bearing walls [ 1 Answers ]

When replacing a load bearing wall what size lumber do I need to support a second story floor when the opening is 16ft. This wall is in the center of the house which is 24ft wide

Size of Copper/pvc inside new home to max pressure from 3,000 gl tank on hill [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am building a new home in the country and have a 3000 gallon water tank 75 verticle above my (future) second story. I was going to have either 2" sch 40 pvc or 1 1/4" come down the 160 feet to my home. And then I wanted to know what is the largest copper pipe I could use inside the home to...

Question about pipe size [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,everyone, I am confused about the pipe size for a urinal. The specification for one brand flushometer says that: 1" IPS angle stop and 1 1/4" top spud I don't know where the top spud is. If my water supply line pipe size is 1 1/4" IPS, should i find a flushometer with 1 1/4" angle stop or 1...

View more questions Search