Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aconry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2010, 01:18 PM
    In regards to Social Securty and Medicare Taxes Small Business
    I am employed full time and am in the process of starting a t shirt business on the side (sole proprietorship), while still keeping my current position. When filing at the end of the year do I have to pay SS and Medicare tax if that is already being paid for me by my full time employer?

Also, will I be filing a separate income tax filing or will it be incorporated into my standard filing. Thank you!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2010, 01:51 PM

Yes, you pay SS on ALL income.

You would file (depending on how your business is being formed) with additional schedules (to put it simply) but on one income tax return.

You do not seem familiar with legal situations and I would respectfully suggest that you run your business plan past an Attorney. You can get yourself into problems with both State and Federal authorities.
    aconry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2010, 02:23 PM

My brother in law is an attorney and said I should speak to an accountant which is why I was posting here. I was looking for a response from an accountant. I am just trying to glean some information prior to paying for said service.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 06:40 AM

Please don't attempt to direct who will answer your questions. I'm surprised that your brother in law, the attorney, didn't realize you have to pay SS on all income.

You obviously need PAID advice from an attorney and an accountant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Claim Social Security taxes & medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I worked on my CPT and OPT from July 2006 to June 2008 and paid Social Security taxes & medicare taxes, how can I claim them back? Thank you.

H1-B Social Security and Medicare Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been working with a company in South Carolina since Nov, 2006 and started on a student work permit visa (F1-OPT). I then had my visa transferred to a H1-B starting on Oct 1, 2007. But my employer was not aware that social security and medicare taxes were to be deducted from...

Social security and Medicare taxes. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All... Until 2006 Dec I was a Full time student and my employer deducted social security and medicare taxes while I was working as an intern. Is there any way that I can get back that tax amount? Thanks Mahi vanka.

Social security and medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on H1B. My payroll dept forgot to deduct my social and medicare taxes from my paycheck AND it continued to deduct taxes as per F1. So do I need to pay my medicare and social now with 2005 tax returns? If yes How should I pay those taxes, which forms should I use? Thanks

Payring Social and Medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on H1B. My payroll dept forgot to deduct my social and medicare taxes from my paycheck AND it continued to deduct taxes as per F1. So do I need to pay my medicare and social now with 2005 tax returns? If yes How should I pay those taxes, which forms should I use? Thanks

View more questions Search