Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jun 16, 2010, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Ok. Where can such creatures be found?
    Hi N.K.

They can only be found in thought experiments. If philosophical zombies are theoretically possible then physicalism ( scientific reductionism) is false.

To put it another way, it is false that the mind can be reduced to the function of the brain.

This is because humans have something "extra" ( call it a spark if you like).That philosophical zombies don't have.

As I said before, if philosophical zombies are logically impossible then physicalism is an adequate explanation. There is no "spark".

Regards

Tut
    bendingleconte Posts: 112, Reputation: 9

Aug 31, 2010, 09:20 PM

Tut, it is not only humans that have that "spark of life." All animals have that, what differentiates humanity is our ability to become self-aware and question who we are.

I agree tremendously with everything else.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Aug 31, 2010, 10:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bendingleconte View Post
    Tut, it is not only humans that have that "spark of life." All animals have that, what differentiates humanity is our ability to become self-aware and question who we are.

I agree tremendously with everything else.

Hi bendingleconte,

I agree with what you are saying about animals.

From a dualist point of view... Yes, there is something it is like to be an certain type of animal. On this basis consciousness has a distinctive subjective character about it. This subjective character seems to extend to animals. It seems as though many animals have phenomenological consciousness (conscious of their environment).

The problem is that we don't know, 'what it is like' to be a dog or a cat. The other problem is that it is very difficult to come up with a suitable definition of consciousness.

Regards

Tut
    harmonybox Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2010, 09:24 PM

By my own beliefs, I would say no. Without getting into the details, life is eternal, but not necessarily humanity. Humans came from life, but that doesn't mean that human beings will continue on as humans for eternity. First you have to believe that energy itself is life to fully understand.
    peterbranton Posts: 123, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2011, 12:42 PM
    With regards to your consciousness you are original born at your conception , with regards to your physical bean every thing that is born is born from a living creature so in essence you evolved at the birth of life 2 billion years ago here on earth and you have been alive ever since

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find records of birth and death for someone in france [ 2 Answers ]

I can't Find any records forfor someone who passed away in the last 2-3 yrs. Its in france but I don't know where to look

Birth/Death Certificate [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have the following information about my Greatgrandfather from the 1901 census but would like to know when he died. Name: George J Lee Born: about 1827 St. James London Civil Parish: Hackney...

Free access to birth and death records [ 4 Answers ]

How can I access public records such as birth, death, marriage, divorce etc. in the state Of Illinois, via my computer, without having to pay. Is this information available for free For those with computer savvy ?

View more questions Search