Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lostsheep Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Jun 5, 2010, 08:48 AM
    How can I deal with this depression alone?
    My name is Jackie I'm about 19 and have been expecting for sometime that I suffer from severe depression. I'm not one of those girls who likes attention it terrifies me actually and my parents and boyfriend are starting to be able to tell that something deeper is wrong. I honestly would rather be alone right now instead they seem to be wanting to spend extra time with me and are trying to cheer me up. I feel like I am making them miserable because the attempts are somewhat futile. Its not something you can really cheer up and if you have it you can understand. My question is should I leave for awhile to find myself and try to make it better on my own... the way I'd like to or should I stay and deal with their constant babying that is steadily driving me crazy and further from them?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2010, 12:28 PM
    Hi, lostsheep!

When was the last time that you had a check-up by your doctor, please?

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2010, 12:46 PM

General medical doctor about a year ago... never a shrink. I wouldn't go to a shrink although a councelor suggested it and my psych teacher who analyzed me for the class unfortunately suggested I should see somebody I don't have the means or the desire.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2010, 01:20 PM
    You're reaching out for help here. So, obviously there's some desire by you to see someone about your concerns.

Can you pinpoint on or more things about which you might be depressed, please?

Thanks!
    JK191 Posts: 151, Reputation: 31

Jun 16, 2010, 07:52 PM

This is coming from someone who thought he beat depression once by himself and just slipped back into it.

You might be able to momentarily slip out of it but unless you address the underlying issues with the help of a psychologist or psychiatrist you won't be able to completely leave it behind you.

Best of luck.
    emmalem Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 27, 2010, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    You're reaching out for help here. So, obviously there's some desire by you to see someone about your concerns.

Can you pinpoint on or more things about which you might be depressed, please?

Thanks!
    I think it's a case of not wanting someone close to know rather than reaching out.

I think you should visit a doctor, who will be able to direct you to a psychologist/therapist if they think you need to. If the doctor doesn't see the need to refer you, you may be prescribed drugs that the doctor will be licensed to give you. There are lots of treatments - And you are NOT alone.

I understand your concern about your boyfriend/mum changing their ways towards you. And also, the fear I had when I thought I was depressed - I thought that if my family knew, they would act differently around me. The only thing I can suggest (in order to keep it from them) is to keep occupied. Take up a new sport or hobby or something.

When I was studying, I suffered from a sort of lack of emotion. I wasn't low - I just wasn't *anything*. It felt like the only emotions I could feel were anger and anxiety and everything else was the same. I went to the doctor and was referred and prescribed anti depressants. I was able to keep it on the down low and the only person that knows is my best friend. Hope this helps.
    gaylene234 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2010, 07:52 PM
    Is it possible for you to sit down and talk with your parents and boyfriend. Tell them how you feel, what you think is wrong and how YOU would like to deal with it.

Antidepressants helped my daughter way more than I expected. She started them when she was about your age. It took awhile for her to find one that agreed with her. In fact she gave up on them the first couple of times she tried them. When she found the right one it changed her life around completely. She had spiralled downhill badly and done some very bad things due to depression. She does see a psychologist, but once again, the first couple she saw were useless. She got a lot of support from her "internet friends".

You really need to be able to talk to your Mum or Aunt or friend about this. But please remember your GP really can help you if you work with him and don't give up if things don't go right the first time.

If you can tell your family how you feel and what YOU need from them in the way of support you may find you won't even need antidepressants.

Time alone, in a quiet room with no interruptions, for a few hours, or even a couple of days, does wonders for me. I like to "hibernate" when I get really depressed

Oct 2, 2010, 08:00 AM

That how I am I hibernate. Sorry I haven't been on here to look at this. You'll be pleased to know its gotten a little easier for me. I just kept pushing through and I busied myself. I couldn't speak about this to my mom but I did my boyfriend and he helped tremendously although he would get frustrated at times and ask me why I am always miserable xD despite that it brought us that much closer to each other. He understands my fears and distress and that it can't be helped. He is making me take baby steps to rise above it and well that's giving me a lot of confidence and helping me out. I recently picked a major in college I am very pleased with and that occupies a lot of down time. I also bought myself two new little pets and just that company even from little chinchillas makes me happy. Its simple but it helped. I still have my down points occasionally mostly at night but I just push through it knowing tommrow will be a little better and a little brighter. Thank you especially emmalum. You understood I what I wanted the first commentor actually scared me away from the site. XD When I erad yours it helped a lot that you knew what I was trying to get. Just advice from people I would never meet who would never know and thus never treat me different.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I deal with extreme sadness over my son's depression problems? [ 7 Answers ]

My son is 25, and over the past 6 or 7 years, he has become more withdrawn and depressed. I have encouraged him the best I can to get help -- to see a therapist -- and he procrastinates about it despite the amount of pain he's in. Depression is a family trait on my side, and his dad has mental...

Has any one had to deal with depression [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently dealing with depression and panic attackis. I'm in a partical hospital and it came to me getting dichared any one have anying coping skills ?

Has any one had to deal with depression [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently dealing with it and I just wondering what everone else dose to cope ?

Has any one had to deal with depression [ 2 Answers ]

Any one dealing how coping skills ?

How do I deal with my sisters depression and the mental abuse of her spouse? [ 1 Answers ]

My sister is a 53 yr old surgical nurse with a history of depression. She married in her thirties and since then our relationship has changed a great deal from being good friends to barely contacting one another. Over years she has had less of a relationship with the entire family as her husband...

View more questions Search