Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aptdwellers Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 9, 2006, 09:56 PM
    Have I Stumped You? (on-demand or tankless water heaters)
    Hello All,

So happy I found the Ask Me Help Desk! I referred to it several times when working on my weekend DIY project. My weekend project today was installing an on-demand heated showerhead. There's a unit that screws into the shower arm and a showerhead that screws into the unit. The unit plugs into a standard wall outlet. When the shower is turned on, the unit heats the water running through it and - voilą! - you supposedly have a hot shower.

The problem we ran into is that the showerhead tripped our circuit breaker. The amperage needed to operate the shower heater is at least 24 amps. Looking at our breaker box, we have four 20 amp circuits and two 15 amp circuits.

We spent all day trying to get the showerhead off, running back and forth to the hardware store, installing the darn heating unit, and we still don't have hot water (our landlord is cheap - 2nd year in a row with an iffy hot water situation).

Maybe this question belongs in the electrical section, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I've been looking online for tankless water heaters (99% of them require way more than 20 amps to operate), or a different showerhead (same problem with the electrical requirements). I've even looked at camping showers and propane heaters. I don't think it's possible to switch out a 20 amp breaker with a 30 or 40 amp one so that the showerhead will operate properly.

I'm at my wits end! I just want to take a hot shower before I go to work!

Any products you can recommend? Any electrical advice?

Thanks! :eek:
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2006, 10:52 PM
    You could run a new circuit to the bathroom to run your new heater. Use a larger wire than normal, such as a number 10 wire. Then you could use a higher amp breaker.
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Dec 10, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Are you sure that it draws 24A? If it does and it is 120V, then it shouldn't plug into a "standard wall outlet." The plug pattern is different for higher amperage plugs/receptacles (25A, 30A, etc.). Are you sure that there are not just other things on the same circuit in addition to the heater that are tripping the breaker?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 06:56 AM
    A load of 24 amps requires a 30 amp circuit, as letmetellu mentions, with #10 wire, but only a 30 amp breaker.

I find your statement "at least 24 amps", curious. You need to know the exact MAXIMUM load, in watts or amps. The 30 amp circuit will not be large enough once the current rises above 24 amps.

No, it is not safe, or allowed, to just replace the 20 amp breaker with a higher rating, as this will allow the wiring to over heat, and you will have more problems than just a cold shower.

Sorry I have no suggestions for a heater shower head. Check over at plumbing for other suggestions, and if it is electric, come back here for help to wire it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tankless water heaters worth it? [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings all. I'm wondering what your expert opinions are of tankless "on-demand" water heaters (for the whole house). I found some supposedly new ones on EBay for about $750 (natural gas) and would do the installation myself. But I've never lived in a house that had one, and wanted to know if...

Tankless water heaters [ 5 Answers ]

I was looking into tankless water heaters and wondering if it would be worth while to switch to one when its time to replace my standard hot water tank- has anyone installed one of these, and are they worth the extra money vs. a standard tank?

Tankless water demand... [ 3 Answers ]

At this time I have a Bock oil fired water tank in our home, for about eight to nine years. We also have a deep well and our own septic, what I'm getting to is water pressure, deep well pump on at about 45psi and off at around 64psi. With the low pressure at 45, would that be too low for a tankless...

How to plan gas pipe job to hook-up tankless hot water heaters [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Ask Me Help Desk, I am installing two Paloma 200K BTU tankless hot water heaters in our L-Shaped 2900 square feet 1963-built rancher in Atlanta, GA. I am trying to decide if I should tackle the gas line part of the job. I have successfully done a number of small gas jobs which required...

View more questions Search