Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2010, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The key here is to establish ownership. Whether by deed or tax records. If the county does not list the neighbor as the owner, then the neighbor will have to show documentation that he controls the property. If he has not been paying taxes on the property, and he claims ownership or control, he may find himself with a whopping tax bill.
    This is what I was thinking.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph
    I agree. But they'll have to pay for the company to do the research, in public records. It should only cost the OP the cost of copies. Less than $5.00 usually. But they will have the title co.in their corner.
    Yes, it would cost a bit more than getting the copies himself. But one of the advantages of using the title company is that they will get everything that applies and will give an insurable opinion on ownership. The OP may not know exactly what to look for, may not recognize which documents apply and may not know what they mean relative to his situation. As a surveyor you would know. As an attorney I would know. The title company will certainly know.

Another factor is that using a title company will clear the OP's title. What value is a piece of property for residential purposes if you can't show a prospective purchaser that you have a valid legal claim to easements for utilities? I would think of the cost of this title search as an investment. In fact, as cautious as I am, I would even consider buying a title insurance policy just for that issue.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2010, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    Yes, it would cost a bit more than getting the copies himself. But one of the advantages of using the title company is that they will get everything that applies and will give an insurable opinion on ownership. The OP may not know exactly what to look for, may not recognize which documents apply and may not know what they mean relative to his situation. As a surveyor you would know. As an attorney I would know. The title company will certainly know.

Another factor is that using a title company will clear the OP's title. What value is a piece of property for residential purposes if you can't show a prospective purchaser that you have a valid legal claim to easements for utilities? I would think of the cost of this title search as an investment. In fact, as cautious as I am, I would even consider buying a title insurance policy just for that issue.
    I agree. It would be a good investment for the OP to make. I just hope that it's not one of those areas that have shoddy, incomplete, records .
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    I agree. It would be a good investment for the OP to make. I just hope that it's not one of those areas that have shoddy, incomplete, records .
    I hope so too. But if you have a title insurance policy then it doesn't matter how shoddy and incomplete those records are, right? :) Buying the policy makes it the title company's problem instead of the OP's problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adverse possession Texas [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend that has let a ex-girlfriend stay w/ him due to she was down on her luck. Now after 3 months she is refusing to leave. Saying that she is going to claim "squatters rights" because she has been getting mail there in her name. That is not considered "squatters rights" is it?

Adverse Possession in TEXAS [ 5 Answers ]

These people sold us some land about 8 years ago, we found that the 'quit claim' deed was worthless (our ignorance). We now have to get a lawyer to acquire a clean title. They have been or were paying taxes on another Abandoned (since the 1930's) lot of land which they never maintained possession...

Adverse possession [ 2 Answers ]

I have let my father and his lady friend live in a home that belongs to me and my sister. They have been there for 14years and my father is in poor health, and we are scared that this woman will try to take this property from us through Adverse possession or squatters rights, which I think is the...

Adverse possession [ 1 Answers ]

We moved into West Long Branch 1.5 years ago. It was November. I noticed he was cutting through the front (side) of my yard and I put up a makeshift fence (tomato cages). In the spring I was cleaning the front side yard, trimming the bushes, when my neighbor came over and told me that those were...

View more questions Search