Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bjo Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 06:05 AM
    My brothers drinking
    I just started to see a counselor after a break up and I thought my issues were related to my family cutting me out of their lifes after my dad died. The counselor thinks that my brothers drinking and he beat me up twice is the issue. I did after that time go out with someone who after 2.5 years together then beat me for about a year. I must be blind I can't see how this is impacting a relationship 13 years later.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 10, 2006, 06:35 AM
    I can confirm that impacts last much longer than 13 years for many many people, particularly if alcoholism or physical violence is involved. However, this issue would be best to raise with your counselor. It is my belief from my own work with counselors that you can undo or risk some of the work you're doing with your counselor seeking outside commentary on the particulars of that work. I know it may seem confusing to you now, Bjo, but if you just hang in there, it will be clearer later. You've only just begun. Don't let your confusion fuel any resistance to the work that is needed. I give every counselor I've seen at least ten sessions before I begin to evaluate what we are doing. If you find you simply can't work with this counselor, seek another but be very certain that isn't motivated by denial or your desire to dodge some issues.
    stlouisarcher Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjo
    I just started to see a counselor after a break up and I thought my issues were related to my family cutting me out of their lifes after my dad died. The counselor thinks that my brothers drinking and he beat me up twice is the issue. I did after that time go out with someone who after 2.5 years together then beat me for about a year. I must be blind I can't see how this is impacting a relationship 13 years later.
    In addition to counseling, after discussing it with this person you trust, I would suggest that you attend some meetings of Alanon, the international support group for anyone whose life has been impacted by an alcoholic. I've been sober for over 11 years, long enough to know that family issues such as yours, relating to addiction, usually have roots that go back generations. And have a great impact on the present. At Alanon you will be introduced to the 12 steps, some guidelines for living that have saved many lives. Good luck to you and please remember that you don't have to solve your difficulties alone or all at once.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brothers dream:-symbol=dog [ 2 Answers ]

I didn't dream this dream so I don't know any details but my brother told me that the most important symbol was a dogt peeing. Can anyone help interpret this symbol?Thanks in advance :)

80s Movie Title: involves Brothers Grimm [ 4 Answers ]

This is a movie I watched every year on the Disney channel as a kid, but I can't remember the name of it. It was basically about the Brothers Grimm. They're on some kind of trip and decide to cut through some forest to get to wherever faster, only it turns out it's an enchanted forest, and they...

Looking for family.my brothers dad died. [ 12 Answers ]

My brothers dad died in a trucking wreck before he was born . My brothers name is christopher frances burns , I would love to have him meet his older siblings . His father was married before meeting my mother Gail Petit at the time. I know that his sisters names are lori burns of Pa and Kathy...

Loved by two brothers? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm china and I'm the one who wrote last time on the topic "should i give his brother a chance" and the one who wrote "help me plese i'm confused' right now the guy that I truly like is here in the US and well we have been communicating through e-mail. The problem that I have now is that his...

Brothers... [ 28 Answers ]

OK, so I have 5 brothers all very different characters. The oldest Martin, is 35yrs - outgoing, but also laid back, a good sense of humoursettle with kids and we get on well. Darren is about 33yrs very quiet and has a shy factor, but has a great sense of humour, happilt married with children...

View more questions Search