Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linds86 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2010, 04:31 PM
    1 Negative Test, 1 Positive Test... How far along am I?
    Hi My name is Lindsay. In November we found out that we were expecting our first baby. In February I experienced a miscarriage. It is now June 4th 2010 and I took a pregnancy test today and got a positive. My last period started on April 4th 2010. I took a pregnancy test when I missed my period at the beginning of May but the test was negative. I am a little confused as to how far a long I am. Is it possible that the first pregnancy test was incorrect? Or is it possible that I could have gotten pregnant in the last month even though I missed my period for the past two months. If you could help me to understand this a little better that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance

Lindsay
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2010, 04:04 AM

Congrats! Both situations are possible... pregnancy is one of the most obvious reasons for missed periods, but periods sometimes do get skipped. It may have been a bit too early for the test in May to pick it up. Have you noticed any other pregnancy type symptoms?

Since there is some unknown with the dates, your doctor will likely order an early scan to get a clearer picture as to how far along you might be. They can also sometimes get an idea when they do a pelvic exam as to what changes are already taking place.
    linds86 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2010, 11:41 AM
    Thanks for the reply! I just wasn't sure if it was possible to get pregnant having missed my previous period.. I was under the impression that you had to have you period in order to ovulate, in order to get pregnant.. am I wrong?

Thanks again :)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2010, 07:35 PM

On occasion a woman might ovulate but not have a period, but it could very well be that you were pregnant in May, but the test just didn't pick it up yet. Some women don't get a positive result for several weeks. Who knows, had you taken another one a week later you might have gotten a different result at that time.

Your doctor will do a scan for dating purposes to give you a better idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ovulation test positive or negative [ 7 Answers ]

I absolutely hate ovulation tests! They can be so confusing sometimes. I think I finally got a positive ovulation test - will you look at my picture and give me your opinion. Thanks to everyone who responds! It was an Answer Ovulation Test - it said if the line is the same color or darker than...

Is this a positive or negative pregnancy test? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is stephanie I'm 18 years old as some of you guys already know me, but I took a pregnancy test a couple days ago in the morning and on the oval shape on the right there's a vertical line going down which means the test is working and on the circle shape on the left there's a dark line...

One positive test then 2 negative [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I took a pregnancy test on Sunday (5 days period late) and it was positive then I took one this morning and it was negative, I then went to the DR and he took one and again was negative. I have light spotting which is dark brown could I be pregnant?

Positive or Negative Ovulation Test? [ 3 Answers ]

I absolutely hate ovulation tests! They can be so confusing sometimes. I think I finally got a positive ovulation test - will you look at my picture and give me your opinion. Thanks to everyone who responds! It was an Answer Ovulation Test - it said if the line is the same color or darker...

Late period, 1 negative test 1 positive test [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 6 months. Previously I lost a baby at 7 months pregnant... looong story... anyway I conceived last time on Clomid. I began Clomid again last month. I am a day late, I took 1 test Sunday (2 days before missed period) it was a faint...

View more questions Search