Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 07:47 AM
    Persistent Chest Pains
    For about a year or two, I've been having chest pains. It's directly in the center of my chest and the best way I can describe it is the plates of the earth's crust, how they press together, only it feels like that in my chest. I've tried ignoring it, and that usually works. I've tried taking tylenol and other things like that. It has no effect. The pains are random and can stop for weeks to a month at a time. What could this be?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 08:24 AM

Have you been seen by a Physician? I'm not a good person to answer this question - my husband had three heart attacks without any symptoms other than pressure in the center of his chest. He never had nausea, pain in his jaw, down his arms, nothing severe.

I think you should check with a Physician. If it's a gastric problem, let him/her diagnose it. If it's cardiac, the same thing.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 12:31 PM

Thank you
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 12:33 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't fool around. Maybe it's acid indigestion or something - at any rate, if you have chest pains you're supposed to take an aspirin (a blood thinner), not Tylenol.

I've certainly seen you around the Boards and now you have me concerned. Please come back and keep us informed.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't fool around. Maybe it's acid indigestion or something - at any rate, if you have chest pains you're supposed to take an aspirin (a blood thinner), not Tylenol.

I've certainly seen you around the Boards and now you have me concerned. Please come back and keep us informed.
    Aspirin isn't for those under 18, at least that's what my pediatritian said.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 02:48 PM

I had no idea you are under 18 - and, yes, Reyes Syndrome is a risk.

Back to consulting with a Physician!
    jpbuzzworthy Posts: 47, Reputation: 4
    -

Jun 4, 2010, 02:52 PM

YEa just go to the doctor. It could end up not costing too much and relieve you of the pain... it's really no biggie to just go... If whatever combination of legal guardians you have don't have insurance, that OK, there are clinincs everywhere.

PS - Don't use the emergency room as a doctors office, please. It puts undue expense on the medical systems
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbuzzworthy View Post
    YEa just go to the doctor. it could end up not costing too much and relieve you of the pain...it's really no biggie to just go...If whatever combination of legal guardians you have don't have insurance, that ok, there are clinincs everywhere.

PS - Don't use the emergency room as a doctors office, please. It puts undue expense on the medical systems

Chest pains ARE an emergency - if the OP is in trouble she should go wherever she can be seen IMMEDIATELY.

As far as undue expense on the medical systems - chest pains (again) ARE an emergency.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 04:17 PM

Yes, I would say chest pain is most always considered an emergency. In this case though not so much because the op said it has been happening approximately off and on for a year or two.

Does it deserve the attention of the doctors sure does. Some people, especially young people go through growing pains. It could be that simple. The thing is you just never know if there is something else going on until it is thoroughly checked over by a doctor.

Chest x ray is defiantly on the order sheet or should be to make sure there are no abnormalities.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 09:09 PM

I talked to my mum and we're going to the doctor. Soon
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 09:12 PM

Good to hear.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 09:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbuzzworthy View Post
    YEa just go to the doctor. it could end up not costing too much and relieve you of the pain...it's really no biggie to just go...If whatever combination of legal guardians you have don't have insurance, that ok, there are clinincs everywhere.

How can you tell someone who is having chest pains to not go to the emergency room? Are you the ER police? Or a doctor? I can't believe you gave that advice. Do you work for the Health Care System? Who gives a tinkers dam what it cost. You aren't the parent.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 09:44 PM

KitKat,

Remember this girl said it was going on for a year or two. If it was really truly an emergency she would have already been gone. The thing is by it coming and going and by the op admitting it has been going on so long. It is NOT really an emergency.

I would say if it was an all of a sudden on set and as soon as it started go to emergency but this situation is different.

She is now going to her doctor which I hope he will do x rays and some blood work, but only time will tell what it is.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 09:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper1976 View Post
    KitKat,

Remember this girl said it was going on for a year or two. If it was really truly an emergency she would have already been gone. The thing is by it coming and going and by the op admitting it has been going on so long. It is NOT really an emergency.

I would say if it was an all of a sudden on set and as soon as it started go to emergency but this situation is different.

She is now going to her doctor which I hope he will do x rays and some blood work, but only time will tell what it is.
    HeyJoe... True but go to some of jbuzzys threads. I'm talking about the responder... You'll see what I mean. Glad to be back talking with you again... my friend.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 09:57 PM

Did I do something wrong?
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 09:59 PM

You did not do anything wrong at all, why do you ask?

You did the right thing about telling your mom, and now you are going to get things checked over.

WHICH is really GOOD.

Smile x and stop thinking you did something wrong when you did not.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 10:01 PM

Oops, never mind. Misread Kity's post. Thought she was talking about me, not the other poster
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxEmOxXxPrInCeSsxXx View Post
    oops, nevermind. misread Kity's post. thought she was talking about me, not the other poster
    The other poster is a know it all. You know I love you emop... It made me mad what she said... Joe and all of us are protectiveof you... You're like my own kid.. . :DKit
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 10:07 PM

We all do want the best for you. That is for sure. You have dealt with a lot of stuff and we just want you to be well. So again happy you talked to your mom about it and that your seeing the doctor. Please keep us all updated, OK.
    jpbuzzworthy Posts: 47, Reputation: 4
    -

Jun 5, 2010, 06:08 AM

Clarification. I didn't mean the Chest pains were "no Biggie" I meant going to the doctor was "no biggie". We are talking to a young person who likely is afraid of doctors (or would have already gone). I was trying to ease her mind that it's no big deal to just GO. Since it's Chronic, I think it was sound advice to not put undue stress on our emergency system, and make an appointment with a Doctor or Urgent care facility. Just trying to create good habits in her now while she's young. We all know how many people use the ER as a doctor's office.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone, and I hope anyone who reads this response can see I'm just trying to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chest pains [ 5 Answers ]

Sometimes when I breath ill get a very sharp pain in my chest right under my left breast, it feels like light stabbing or something, I'm not quite sure what I can compare it to, when I get it it lasts for a couple hours and hurts when I laugh and cough too... and if I take deep breaths to try to...

Chest Pains/Breast Pains [ 2 Answers ]

My breathing is fine, but my chest area hurts sometimes .. Im not fully sure if its my breasts or chest, it feels like both sometimes .. I had sex 4 days after my period, unprotected !x But I know I can't be pregnant, even though i get my monthly after every 42 days for 7 days .. I have purple,...

Chest pains [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 2 weeks I have had serious chest pain. When I burp it feels better for the moment but comes back quickly. Have a little shorness of breath. Also pain in my upper back when I tilt my head back. What do you think?

Right chest pains [ 6 Answers ]

Iam 36 years old I recently was put on medecation for high blood pressure .My ? Is I have been having sharp pain on the right side of my chest only the right side should I be worried about the pain in only occurs when I am up

View more questions Search