Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MAneedinghelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 09:10 AM
    Can I end my exs parental rights?
    I live in ma and my daughters father does not pay court ordered child support. He doesn't appear to any of our court dates and has had his license taken away for this. This has been going on for many yrs. He is a drug user and I have full physical and legal custody. Am I able to have ALL or any of his rights taken away? I feel its best that he have nothing to do with her at all and am wondering if any legal steps can ensure this. Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 3, 2010, 09:21 AM

There is a sticky not at the top of the this forum that deals with this issue. Bottom line is that only a court can terminate rights and courts are VERY reluctant to do so. Generally they will only do so to clear the way for an adoption or if the parent can be proven to be a danger to the child (hard to do).
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2010, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MAneedinghelp View Post
    am i able to have ALL or any of his rights taken away? i feel its best that he have nothing to do with her at all and am wondering if any legal steps can ensure this. thanks
    Hello MA:

Couple things... He's NOT using the right's he has, so taking them away won't do diddly. Secondly, if he ever does change his ways, why shouldn't he be able to see his daughter??

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights of the father after signing over rights in adoption [ 2 Answers ]

My son is nineteen he and his girlfriend hide her pregnancy for six months, during that time they met a couple and decided to put the baby up for adoption. After we found out about the baby they told us that they had started the process of adoption. My son said he had signed over his parental...

Terminating parental rights in Nevada to end child support [ 4 Answers ]

Father wants to terminate his parental rights so that he will not have to pay child support. Long story short, Father was not in sons life from 2-10yrs old. I filed for child support and they located him and at the time he was ordered to pay child support. Visitation was set-up where he would...

Rights of mother who's parental rights have been terminated [ 5 Answers ]

I am engaged to a man who is divorced and has a 3.5 year old son. The birth mother signed over parental rights in the 12th Judicial Circuit in Florida in Nov 2006 and has not seen her son since then. We are looking into filing the adoption paperwork a year after we marry so that I am legally...

How do I relinquish my exs paternal rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in a complicated situation where I have 2 children and 2 fathers neither are fit to care for my children in the event something happens to me. How do I take their paternal rights away, so that if something happens to me they'll end up with their godparents instead of the fathers??

What rights does a parent give when they sign over parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

When I was 16 my mom signed over her parental rights, I am now 23 and have a kid. What rights to her grand kid does she have?

View more questions Search