Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ozy76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 02:08 AM
    Can I get a labrador?
    My situation is like this:
    I always wanted a lab.
    But I have a few problems about it:
    The place where I live isn't quite an urban area but isn't quite a suburb.
    I do not live in a house but in a medium size apartment without a yard.
    However, right next to my apartment is a big park and a mile away is even a forest so walking him 4 times a day and giving him enough exercise would be no problem (2 hours a day min if it doesn't rain)).
    I'm a student and my college is distant about 15-20 min drive from my home.
    The problem is that at 65% percent of the time I live alone (my father works on a cruiser ship and my mother often goes to the ship with him).
    So... I obviously have to go to college and that means leaving a dog alone 3-4 times a week for 3, 4 sometimes in rare occasions maybe even 6 hours.
    And I would be leaving him for that long during the night (once a week) when I would go out and have some fun.
    My question is this:
    Would dog get separation anxiety and trash my place?
    Would he eat the chairs, shoes and table?
    I really want a lab but I don't want to get him if he would be unhappy with his life.
    Any sound advice would be great
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 01:11 PM

Any dog can suffer from separation anxiety, and while the longest you should leave a dog alone would be 8 hours, they do the most damage with in the first 1/2 hour.

Labs are high energy and demanding. They require lots of one on one as well as other dog socialization. Would you be able to take the dog to obedience classes?

Also something to think about is, would you get an older dog or a puppy? Puppies need lots of time with their owner to bond and be properly socialized. 3-4 hours a day wouldn't be too terrible, but spending a night away from home would be a big no-no.

Another thing you should look into would be crate training. Whether it's a grown dog or a pup, a crate is a great thing to help ease any anxiety as well as it is a great help with house breaking.

Labs are wonderful family pets, very intelligent, but again, very high energy. And they don't care if it's raining out, they need their exercise. A tired dog is a happy dog.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2010, 07:25 PM

I think if you exercise properly, your dog will be OK.
    I own a Shih Tzu poodle mix, who has an INSANE amount of energy. It's seriously excessive. He is crated while I'm at work (at least 9 hours on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday), and he is fine. He is excerised a TONNE though, and if you don't have the dedication to spend a LOT of time with him, don't do it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 07:30 PM

I think it's great that you're asking these questions, looking at all the angles, at all hurdles, before you adopt a dog. Good for you.

I have a lab mix. The wonderful lab look without the full on, must run all the time energy. That's not to say that all lab mixes will be as docile and relaxed as mine, but I do think that a mix is something to consider. In my case I really don't know why Indy is the way he is. Both of the breeds he is are very energetic, but for some reason he really isn't. ;)

Have you considered adopting an older dog from a shelter. The reason I ask is that puppies are a lot of work. They need a lot of attention. You aren't gone as much as most people, but a puppy, in the beginning, needs a lot of time. It's like having a newborn baby.

There are many breed specific shelters. The great advantage to adopting an older dog (1 or 2 years or older depending on what you want) is that their personality, their energy level, is already apparent. There won't be any surprises. Also, many times these dogs area already trained to potty outside, to sit, to walk on a leash, to stay in a kennel. It means less work and more time to just enjoy your companion.

So, if you only want a purebred lab, I can help you find that. If you're willing to look at mixes, you have even more options.

If you'd like some help finding a shelter near you, let us know. We will need to know where you live, so if you don't feel comfortable posting that info, no problem.

We can also give you some great pointers on how to choose a dog for you. :)
    ozy76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2010, 05:44 AM

Thanke you all for helpful advices.
    I would definitely get a puppy because during the summer I would have enough time to spend with him. And I don't mind putting the effort in training him to urinate outside and making sure that he doesn't eat the chairs.
    I'm a little skeptic about getting an older dog because I don't know how was he threated in the past-would he have social problems already and would he had health problems (hip dysphasia).
    SO getting a dog would mean a long term project for me and making sure that I would get a healthiest dog possibly.
    Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I don't think I would have a heart to put a 75 p dog in a crate for 6 hours. To me that sounds cruel. I heard that crate reminds dogs on dens so it is not so unnatural for them, but voles can leave their dens whenever they want. So I'm not sure about that.
    Obedience class is something I will look into.
    Thanke you very much Altenweg for offering your help but I doubt that you know any shelters in Croatia. :-)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 4, 2010, 08:43 AM

Ozy, you should really look into crating, I can't stress what a great help it has been with my dog and her separation anxiety. I know it sounds cruel, and it's not for every one. But just take a look at some articles on the subject before you rule it out.

Crating Your Dog

Crating Your Dog: Is It Cruel to Confine Dogs?
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 08:54 AM

Ozy- I was never a fan of crating either until I got my two doxie puppies. Crating worked wonders for them. It helped with potty training and now they look at their crate as their homes. If it gets loud in my house or if it is a little late when my husband and I are getting to bed I know I can find both dogs in their crates (or both in the older ones crate) sound asleep.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 09:14 AM

I would strangle my 3 of a night if I didn't crate them.

However, I don't crate during the day, I have baby gates set up in my home to block them off in certain areas - In my case, they are confined to the kitchen when I go out. That way they still have room to walk around/play but not enough to destroy things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Labrador biting [ 7 Answers ]

Why does my 5month old black labrador keep biting us and jumping up

Breeding labrador [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently decided to breed me lab, she is mpt purebred black lab(50% choc. 50% black) but she is smart and a good hunter(exept recently she went gunshy but were working on it) and she has awsome body condition, and attitude, the stud I want to breed her to is $500 ca. and he has much...

About a Labrador [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I have just adopted an adult yellow labrador retriever mix from the Humane Society. We haven't brought him home yet, but we will be next weekend. I'm not sure what else he's mixed with, but he is more than 50% lab as they have guessed too. My question is... he hasn't been properly...

Labrador [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old lab.At present he is not eating as he should be,we give him a cup and a half in the morning and again in the evening.At the moment he's only eating once a day and when he does he doesn't always finish.We're having a pretty hot summer and I was wondering if it may have an impact.

Labrador Breeders [ 1 Answers ]

I have a beautiful 4 1/2 year old pure breed male chocolate lab. I am looking for a female pure breed lab in the Jacksonville area (or the surrounding area) that might be interested in breeding with him. Please let me know as soon as possible! Thanks!

View more questions Search