Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yoshistepper Posts: 17, Reputation: 0

Jun 2, 2010, 08:25 PM
    How can I control my cat when she is in heat?
    Usually I would throw her in cold water to like... kill her "moment of crying" She would stop meowing for a full day... but is this a good thing?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2010, 09:47 PM

You throw your cat in cold water?? That's kind of mean.

Get her spayed. You won't have to worry about how to control your cat while she's in heat... plus spaying her is humane.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2010, 10:00 PM
    Hi again, yoshistepper!

I agree with Lucky098 here! Please have her spayed as soon as possible, or let her out to do what she wants to do.

Letting a cat go into heat repeatedly is really something that's cruel to do the cat.

Thanks!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshistepper View Post
    Usually i would throw her in cold water to like... kill her "moment of crying" She would stop meowing for a full day... but is this a good thing?
    You throw your cat in cold water? That's animal cruelty! :mad:

If you cannot properly care for your cat, and that includes learning what's right and wrong (throwing a cat in cold water is not right, it's very wrong) then it's time to find her a home with people that know how to, and are willing to, take care of her. That includes getting her fixed.

Do your parents know that you do this to the cat?
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2010, 08:13 AM
    Well, at least he did ask...
    Pets Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Well, at least he did ask...
    Yes he did, but according to his other posts he's 14. At 14 you should know right from wrong, you should know that throwing a cat into cold water is not right, it's cruel.

I just cannot tolerate people that mistreat their pets. These are living, breathing, feeling creatures. They don't have a voice, they don't have a choice. It's up to the people that care for them to make sure they are safe, cared for, and not abused.

This is animal abuse, clear and simple. Abuse of any kind, to any living thing, brings out the anger in me.

I only hope that the OP learns how to properly care for this poor animal.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2010, 08:51 AM

This child from all the posts I have seen has been kind of trollish.

Now if it is true that your doing this? This behavior comes from some where? Where are the parents and how do they handle the cat? Maybe it is learned behavior.

Either way though, it is not right and is abusive.

I am going to sound like Bob Barker here. Have your dogs and cats spade or neutered. Please listen.

Joe
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 3, 2010, 09:58 AM

There is no way to 'control' a cat in heat. You just let her cry and posture. She can't control her actions right now.

After she comes out of this heat cycle, get her fixed. Heat cycles last for about 2 weeks. Getting her fixed while she's in heat has added risks of bleeding and lengthening healing time, so it's best to wait until she comes out of the heat cycle.

RIGHT NOW, you need to STOP throwing your cat in water when she cries! Would you do that to a baby? no. why? Because babies cry for a reason. Cats are the SAME WAY! She's crying because she wants attention or food or her litter box cleaned or her favorite toy is under the fridge or something scared her or a million other reasons. As her person, it's YOUR job to figure out WHY she's crying.

Animal abuse is NEVER a substitute for animal care.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Yes he did, but according to his other posts he's 14. At 14 you should know right from wrong, you should know that throwing a cat into cold water is not right, it's cruel.

I just cannot tolerate people that mistreat their pets. These are living, breathing, feeling creatures. They don't have a voice, they don't have a choice. It's up to the people that care for them to make sure they are safe, cared for, and not abused.

This is animal abuse, clear and simple. Abuse of any kind, to any living thing, brings out the anger in me.

I only hope that the OP learns how to properly care for this poor animal.

I had to spread the rep, but I could not agree more. 1,000 greenies Alty.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 09:02 PM
    Originally posted by raisingale

You've got to be kidding me! Let her out to do what she wants to do? Great, contribute to pet overpopulation because you're inconvenienced by her whining.
    And, your solution would be what, please? Perhaps to let the cat continue to suffer, time after time?

She's being inconvenienced by her suffering!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 4, 2010, 09:54 PM

Clough, I think that Rasinglae was being sarcastic... I think... But I think she was making comment about the cat NOT being fixed.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 09:58 PM
    I would like to think that. But then, the rating appeared to be about my post.

Don't know...
    Pets Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 08:42 PM

raisingale disagrees : You've got to be kidding me! Let her out to do what she wants to do? Great, contribute to pet overpopulation because you're inconvenienced by her whining.
    Clough, when you said

Please have her spayed as soon as possible, or let her out to do what she wants to do.
    I believe that raisingale read it the way I did, to either have her spayed or to let her out so she can meet a male while she's in heat.

I myself am very passionate about not contributing to pet overpopulation. Only breeders should be breeding. Pets should be spayed or neutered.

It seems that raisingale is just as passionate about this topic.

If it was a misunderstanding then I'm sure he/she is sorry, but I have to say, I read it the same way, that you were advising that the OP let the cat go out during her heat, which would eventually lead to a pregnancy.

I hope that clears it up. :)
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 11:02 PM
    To me, just letting the cat go on to suffer through being in heat, time after time again, would not be an option. Something would need to be done.

I would be getting the cat spayed as soon as possible. I don't know what the options would be for the OP without knowing further information concerning his situation in the household where he lives.

Thanks!
    Pets Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 11:09 PM

A cat can experience pain during their heat cycle, but letting her outdoors isn't going to help in that situation.

Giving birth would hurt much more then suffering through a heat cycle.

Considering that the OP thinks throwing a cat into cold water is okay, I'd really not recommend that he allow his cat to become pregnant.

There are only three solutions. One is to do the responsible thing and have the cat spayed. Two is to suffer through her cycles (which isn't necessary and is cruel). Three is to allow her to become pregnant (which is irresponsible and will only add to the overpopulation of cats and can lead to the death of the mother in child birth).

The way I see it, option 1 is the only option for a responsible pet owner.
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 11:19 PM
    I remember when a neighbor of mine paid to have a male cat neutered that I had brought in from the cold and drizzle.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 06:35 AM

I notice OP has not been back. But if you do sneak back in here, you have to understand that a cat is not just some "thing" that hangs around your house and does not matter. It feels emotions, physical trauma, etc. just like any other being.

It seems to me that a cat is nothing but an annoyance to you. While I understand (all too well) how annoying a cat in heat is, it's not the cat's fault she is in heat!!! It is your family's fault that she is not spayed and therefore keeps going into heat.

Unless of course you'd like to blame God for making cats in this manner. You can always sue God - I'm sure some jerk attorney would be happy to take that case on.

Regardless, it's certainly not the cat's fault!! Do you even comprehend this? The cat is doing what is natural. If you're 14, you should be entering a period of your life when you're going to think some things are out of your control. Perhaps then you will relate to the cat a little more.

I don't think the solution here is spaying. I think the solution is to turn the cat over to someone who knows how to deal with owning a cat, because you certainly DO NOT!
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2010, 07:24 AM

Um at 3 I knew better than to stick a cat in any sort of water. Really 14? And you can't comprehend that your ABUSING an animal? Maybe you should give the cat away because clearly you don't understand a thing about them. Cats go into heat because they want to mate, how the heck does throwing them into cold water fix that problem? Getting her spayed would stop this, since she won't want to mate.
    ssargent64 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2010, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    you throw your cat in cold water??? That's kind of mean.

Get her spayed. You won't have to worry about how to control your cat while she's in heat... plus spaying her is humane.
    If you care about your cat don't toture her and get her fixed:mad:
    raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

Jun 7, 2010, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Clough, when you said

I believe that raisingale read it the way I did, to either have her spayed or to let her out so she can meet a male while she's in heat.

I myself am very passionate about not contributing to pet overpopulation. Only breeders should be breeding. Pets should be spayed or neutered.

It seems that raisingale is just as passionate about this topic.

If it was a misunderstanding then I'm sure he/she is sorry, but I have to say, I read it the same way, that you were advising that the OP let the cat go out during her heat, which would eventually lead to a pregnancy.

I hope that clears it up. :)
    That's exactly how I read it. Contributing to cat overpopulation -vs- letting her go through a heat cycle -vs- spaying are the three options. Allowing her outside is the absolute worst of the 3 available options. The best is of course spaying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat acts like she's in heat [ 3 Answers ]

My 4 yr old bengal was spayed 31/2 yrs ago and now she is acting like she is in heat. The vet did exploratory surgery and did not find anything. Does anyone know what this could be?

No control of heat [ 1 Answers ]

Thermostat downstairs in rental unit controls heat upstairs. Is there anyway to over ride so I have control upstairs without complete overhaul of unit? I am the owner with office up & rental down.

Heat pump control [ 1 Answers ]

I have Lennox heat pump about 10 year old. The control center is called Harmony II. There is a red light which has been on/off for a few years now. The mannuel says it indicates need of service. The service contractor tried very hard and could not fix it or find out why (I do not have...

Vocal cat in heat [ 1 Answers ]

My cat is in heat and is meowing(roaring) all through the night. Also she goes into heat cycles very irregularly. She will have a 7 day cycle of heat then be clear for a few days and then start up again. After this cycle is done then she is good for a few weeks then she goes again. Is this normal...

View more questions Search