Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klittmann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2010, 07:43 PM
    Kitchen sink backups into utility sink
    When we empty our kitchen sink, it backs up into the utility sink in the laundry room sink and then drains away. This is followed by a smell of sewage in the laundry room. I've read some of the other threads which say this is a blockage downstream from the laundry room but what's interesting is that the laundry machine and the dishwasher both drain fine. Is that normal? Does the laundry drain to the sewer line via a different line?

Is a snake the fix for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 08:07 PM

Dishwasher drains very slow compared to a full sink but the washing machine is a differenet story. Without inspecting your piping its hard to say but may the clog is after the laundry sink and just before the washer drain tapes in. Yes, time to rod/snake. Do you have a clean out in this area? If not go in through he horizontal drain line aftervthe laundry sink trap.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 3, 2010, 06:32 AM

When you fill the laundry tub uo how does it drain? Does it drain nominally and then stop? If I were going to snake then laundry tray linen I would do it from the roof vent. Let me know, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Sink/Garbage Disposal back up into Basement Utility Sink [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Our house is an expanded & completely remodelled older home, with new main floor kitchen incl. garbage disposal and dishwasher which drains into kitchen sink line. Our kitchen sink drain will sometimes backup into our utility sink in the basement, including solid food particles from the...

Hooking a Utility Sink in basement to Kithcen sink drain [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to install a utility sink in the basement and have attached a drawing illustrating the current piping and proposed attachment. Basically, the kitchen sink drain goes directly into a drain in the basement floor via a 1-1/2" steel pipe, which is tied to the sewer system. I'd like to put a...

Fog horn noise when using taps in bathroom sink and kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

There has developed, in the last week, a "fog horn" sound when we turn on the hot or cold taps in the bathroom or kitchen. It does not occur when we use the washer or dishwasher. Could anyone give some advise on what could be the cause of this?

Replacing a bathroon sink with a utility sink [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace my bathroom sink with a utility sink but the plumbing drain pipes are smaller than the utility sink fittings. Do I have to cut them off ,they seem to be glued on very tight.is there an adaptor I can use .I have no plumbing knowledge at all(as you can see)and little money to spend....

Extending utility sink drain for bar sink [ 2 Answers ]

I have a utility sink in my walk-out basement - that sink's 1.5 inch drain connection is approx. 18" above the floor, into a two inch horizontal run. This 2 inch horizontal PVC runs about 3 feet, then connects to a main 3" DWV. I would like to add a bar sink, set into a standard height (36")...

View more questions Search