Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjh0864 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2010, 04:12 PM
    Custody rights if not biological parent
    My stepdaughter had a baby (now 2 years old) with two men being the possible father. The one she was with when she found out took full responsibility knowing this. He signed the birth certificate and another form stating he is the father and would never dispute that and they got married. They have split recently and she is with the other possible father and wants to get a DNA test hoping the one she is with now is the father and wants to take all rights away from the one who signed the birth certificate. My question is does the father who signed the birth certificate have custody rights if it is proven he is not the biological father?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2010, 04:22 PM

What State? It depends on several factors.

First she should get the DNA testing done. Then she should worry about custody, visitation and support.

Have you read this? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...ry-344695.html
    tjh0864 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2010, 04:38 PM

I am concerned with his rights. She did wrong in the relationship and I am hoping he can stay as the father to his daughter. The other man hasn't been in the picture till now. This is in Mississippi.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 06:13 PM

Since he signed for the child then he has all the rights and responsibilities that go with it. Also he couldn't have signed any paper stating he would never contest it because that paper would be declared illegal as he would be waving rights to representation without full knowlage of the law.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 2, 2010, 06:20 PM

If a person acknowledges paternity, then they are assumed to be the legal father unless the bio father challenges it. The kicker is that the bio father may only have a limited time to fight it. This varies from state to state. I would suggest the presumed legal father consult a local Family law attorney to determine whether his paternity can now be challenged.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    IThe kicker is that the bio father may only have a limited time to fight it. This varies from state to state.
    No time limit in Mississippi.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non Biological Grandparent vs. Biological Parent? [ 1 Answers ]

My Father was never really in my life and my mom was a drunk. Well, my mom began smoking crack when I was 14 and then began giving it to me at 15. I had my daughter at 16 and by the time she was 3 months, she was taken out of my home and placed into my dad's. I never followed up with any of that...

Adoption by biological parent after rights terminated [ 1 Answers ]

After my parental rights were terminated in 2001. The family who adopted my child wishes to relinquish custody. Which method do I use to adopt? Adoption by a Relative or Independent adoption, I have noticed both methods use the very same paperwork except the Indepent uses a preassessment form, any...

Non-Biological parent has custody. [ 5 Answers ]

I recently got divorced from my husband and he has physical custody of both children. My daughter is not Biologically his. Due to this, I am having a bit of a problem getting her back to live with me. My daughter has told him that she does not want to go back to live with him, she wanted to stay...

Parental Rights for non-biological parent [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend is going through a very difficult divorce. Currently he works very long hours and we only have one car between the two of us. He has 2 year old twins and he pays $300 per week in child support. He is only off on Tuesdays and Saturdays, but I need the car for work on Tuesdays. Which...

Having rights taken from biological non-existant parent [ 4 Answers ]

My son's father has had no interest in his life since he was born. My son is now almost 4 years old. I'm getting married in 5 days and my fiancé wants to adopt my son. The only problem is that we need to have my son's biological father's rights taken before we can go through with an adoption, due...

View more questions Search